What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. sanguinea underrated?

Don't you guys think that this plant is not given enough respect as a beginner plant? I bought one from petflytrap's sale and it's been through the worst. First, I drop the pot and the plant fell out... repotted it. A week later I found out about the whole Scotts Peat thing... repotted it again... two weeks later the plant fell accidently... repotted it AGAIN. And it still hasn't even shown the slightest bit of stress at all! It's growing and pitcher like nothing has ever happened, even better then the Ventricosa which is supposed to be an easier species to culitvate... Well, I deffinitly have respect for this plant species and reccommend it for all beginners, or clumsy people like me!
smile_n_32.gif

I love that plant! It is a very easy grower and looks at least as nice as many of the rarities. I'ts also cool the way the pitchers always slouch to the side.
Peter

I often recommend N. sanguinea. It's one drawback is that it doesn't tolerate very high heat compared to other 'beginner' plants, so isn't the best choice for some folks in hot climates.

T

you sure bout that?
smile_m_32.gif
My sanguinea doesnt seem to mind when my greenhouse reaches 90 degrees
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Hi,

I live in Kuala Lumpur where the day and night temperatures are about 34C and 28C respectively. My N. sanguinea are doing quite well. Few of my plants have flowered and one managed to develop seeds. The only drawback is that the pitchers are not as big as those in the highlands.

Choong

Huh. I've heard this before, but never had the courage to try and harden off my sanguinea to the conditions outside my tank. I think I may HAVE to, as it's starting to get bigger....

How much direct sun can this sucker take? Any?

Choong,
You must have exceptional sanguineas. Tony was pretty accurate-they do not last long here in south Florida. The winter is fine, but our summer temperatures from June to October is tough on them. It seems the nice big red clones are the most heat sensitive. Again, daytime highs are not the problem, its the warm nights that puts them into a downward spiral. If we ever put a swamp cooler in the greenhouse, and run it at night, it might be a different story.

Trent

My sanguinea has a fit if I change ANYTHING and stops growing for 2 months.  You guys must have some sort of uber reasiliant clone.... Mine also likes to make new growth points more then getting bigger on any one stem.

Edit: Just saw Trents post, this may explain my trouble since mine is big and red lol.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (schloaty @ May 27 2004,4:14)]Huh.  I've heard this before, but never had the courage to try and harden off my sanguinea to the conditions outside my tank.  I think I may HAVE to, as it's starting to get bigger....

How much direct sun can this sucker take?  Any?
The ones I've worked with prefer direct sun, but don't like sudden changes in lighting.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Trent @ May 27 2004,7:58)]Choong,
You must have exceptional sanguineas. Tony was pretty accurate-they do not last long here in south Florida. The winter is fine, but our summer temperatures from June to October is tough on them. It seems the nice big red clones are the most heat sensitive. Again, daytime highs are not the problem, its the warm nights that puts them into a downward spiral.  If we ever put a swamp cooler in the greenhouse, and run it at night, it might be a different story.

Trent
That must be it... The nights still go into the 50s in my greenhouse
smile_k_ani_32.gif
I've noticed that highlanders can take lowland day temps, as long as the nights are cool, and that lowlanders can take highland night temps, as long as the days are warm
smilie4.gif

I must be lucky...

I have a deep red/purple sanguinea that is doing really well even though it lives in S. Florida.

JA

Hi all:

N. Sanguinea is amongst the easiest neps to grow. In my experience easier than ventricosa. It pitchers readily!

Gus

Mine I got from pft`s bare root sale 2 1\2 months ago and is growing outside is very vigorous! It has grown 5 new leafs since I got it and each one has grown a pitcher! The first pitcher was like a 1\3 of an in. tall but now it`s growing consistently 1 1\2 in. pitchers! It`s color is rather boring though,light green with a white interior speckled with red. Any body have any pics of what the pft clone looks lke when mature?
smile_m_32.gif

I have my sanguinea just 6 months, but it performs very well in the Philippine lowlands. Our nights are always warm, it goes only down to 24 deg C. Our days are also warm, between 30-34, but never really warmer. Maybe in some greenhouse temperatures rise higher, thus stressing the plant?
Definitely a good beginners plant and looks quite nice.
Volker

I have 2x N. sanguinea from the same source and think they are great little plants.

For me they are about the fastest growers I have (I mean leaf and pitcher development) even outdoing my N. ventricosa's.

One of them was purchased in poor condition with lots of leaf growth but no pitcher development (low humidity).  I've now had it about a month and there are 4-5 pitchers swelling simultaneously and all at about the same size.  It’s also throwing new leaves.  Very vigorous plant.

As for the conditions. At the moment we have short days (winter almost here) but they are getting about 15C nights and 25-30C days (+-2C).  Humidity averages around 80% with the odd brief drop (30 minutes or so) down to say 60%.

I can’t comment on their tolerance of higher temps as it’s the wrong time of year here.  However these were locally grown and I am sure the growers green house must EASILY reach high 30C’s on a hot day.

Aaron.

N. sanguniea seems to do fine for me in the greenhouse. Have one with a 45 cm tall vine on it scrambling for something to grab onto. The other one is in a 30 cm rossette with 17cm tall pitchers.

i had a ventricosa and a sanguinea as my first neps and after a year my sanguinea over excelled it . matter of fact my ventricosa died
smile_h_32.gif
but that was a while back. My sanguinea grows outside as the weather warms and in the winter comes in although i stops pitchering in my house due to low humidity it grows like a houseplant with no pitchers but in spring it starts pitchering on its growth that it put up over the winter.

Here's a couple of my Sanguinea pics:

141_4197.jpg

141410.jpg

141_4198.jpg

As you can see the leaf and pitcher size is increasing now that they are in more suitable conditions.  That pitcher is about 13cm (5.1").

Aaron.

Spectabilis 73 is absolutely right. Highland species (for the most part) will tolerate hot day temperatures as long as they get a significant night temperature drop. Lowlanders will tolerate cool nights as long as they get hot day temps. You folks living in coastal California are probably in the best region in the US for growing Nepenthes. As long as you can keep the humidity high enough in a greenhouse environment, I'm convinced you could grow bicalcarata side by side with sanguinea. Keep the night temps above 55 F in winter, and in a closed in greenhouse, let day temps reach 85 F. The majority of the species could be grown together. Our bicalcaratas are subjected to winter nights into the fifties with no ill effect, but the days are hot and muggy. Highland species like sanguinea, black peristome ventricosa and carunculata (I've tried these) thrive in these south Florida winter conditions, but once the hot summer nights start up in June, they rapidly decline. The sanguinea made a "come back" once we got fall night temp drops, but by the time it recovered six months later, it was hit by the hot summer nights again. It was just too much. A totally closed greenhouse with swamp cooler pads running at night would change things, but that's not how our greenhouse is designed. I know there are clones of sanguinea from lower altitudes that will take the heat-but I have yet to find them available.

Trent

Back