What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

i bought a rooted speckled ampullaria cutting about 6 or 7 weeks ago and it doesnt seem to want to do anything, no new leaves no pitchers(going by the lable that its the speckled form). its in with my other Neps in lowland conditions, 90-95 degrees during the day, drops to about 70-75 at night. 85% humidity and 13 hours light from 2-4 ft shop lights. my Miranda and ventrata are pitchering wonderfully. i have Ile de France and coccinea cuttings that arent fully rooted and are putting on new leaves as fast as they can(no pitchers yet)i have a gracilis that ive only had for maybe 7 days thats starting to put on its first pitcher so whats wrong with this stupid ampullaria? do they hate being put in new enviroments, slow growers or what?

Rattler

Don't be harsh on Neps.

They may take a while to adapt to their new enviroment. Give it a chance.

It took my miranda a while to settle in ( 7 to 8 months) and now it's producing pitchers.

Patient is a key when growing some of these species.

Hmm, if it's an ampullaria vine cutting then I can only say "best of luck to you" because this was the first Nep who's stem cuttings refused to root/grow on any of the cuttngs I made. Usually I have an almost 100% success rate with rooting Neps and cuttings from "hard" ones (rajah, macrophylla) to easy ones (coccinea, ventrata) but ampullaia's are real SOBs!

Rooting ampullaria basal shoots there is no problem but all my little tricks of skinning the whole portion of stem to be rooted, a few deep slits even rooting hormone which I never use anymore but bought again because I'd heard that amps were hard to get going from stem cuttings... all stems (more than 20) failed except the growing tip cutting and the basal shoots which are all doing great.

Good luck!

well it is rooted, i repoted it today b/c the pot it was shipped in was only half filled with lfs. there were definatly healthy roots. i realize by doin that i may have set it back even farther but i was thinking maybe the roots had rotted or something as its the only nep i have at the moment in pure lfs. oh well maybe ill just find a nice established green form and just wait and see what this one does. thanks for your input. got any extra rooted basal shoots swords
smile_n_32.gif

Rattler there is one o' mine on Ebay now, nobodys bid on it yet so it's still cheep!
smile.gif

It's the dormant nodes on the stem which do not seem to become active for some reason on ampullaria stems. I've heard other people say the same thing about trying (unsuccesfully) to start ampullaria cuttings from dormant nodes. A few cuttings I threw out had some roots but there was no sign of life from the nodes and the node flesh was begining to look bad so there was no need to keep hope alive on them. If you have a growing tip cutting and not a piece of mid-section stem that you are trying to start a dormant node from then you may have better luck. My tip cutting (the very end of my long vine) rooted and is starting to grow again but this has taken since around new years eve! Amps are very slow growing even when they are babied in all ways.

Give it time. My N. Amp went into a major shock and didn't grow for months... now it's making basal shoots and pitchers like there's no tommorow.

well the cutting is from the growing end of a vine so it should grow eventually, dont have to worry 'bout dormant nodes. i guess ill just have to wait and see. swords, i spent to much on the NASC auction and the member only deals here on PTF to be bidding on another Nep, thanks anyway. i need to get the green form eventually just not now. does anyone here have any experiance with the amp/bical hybrids that Borneo Exotics has? they sounded inteesting, are they faster growing?

Just make sure the tip cutting is potted securely (i.e doesn't wobble) and keep it well lit, warm and humid and give it lots of time. As I'd mentioned, my tip cutting of N. ampullaria didn't get started until almost six months - and it still only has a few leaves! A real pokey plant for a lowlander!
biggrin.gif

Well thanks for letting me know about how diffictult and or time consuming it is to propgate ampullaria's.  I noticed just a week or so ago that my ampuallaria has produced 2 basal shoots, and I was thinking about doing some cuttings... until now.  I'll enjoy the plant and let it do it's "thing" without hacking it up.  
smile_m_32.gif

-Homer

Back