What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. gymnamphora & n. singalana

Hi,

N. gymnamphora and N. singalana are two quite easy growing highland species which aren't too popular. After cutting off dead leafes I made some photos of two still very young plants already showing some features of adult plants:

N_gymnamphora_310504_small.jpg

N_singalana_310504_A_small.jpg

Cheers Joachim

Wow, very nice indeed!

I especially like the pattern on the gymnamphora!
About how old are these plants?

/Quensel

Your N. gynmaphora is simply awesome! I've got two small N. gymn rosettes from Wistuba but they don't seem to be growing very quickly. I see all that bare stem so I know you've had that for some time!

Here's a pic of my N. singalana's second to latest pitcher (I can barely see the other one hidden in the back of the terrarium so I just took a pic of this one). This is a plant I got as a seedling during Wistuba's bonus giveaway promotion a year or two ago with all large orders:
singalana4.jpg

N. singalana seemed to grow rather quickly for me but not too large actually. The pitchers and leaves all stay about 12 cm although the documentation says it can be larger (pitchers and leaves). However I don't know because mines already 35 cm high and making basal shoots, maybe upper leaves and pitchers are bigger?

Hi Josh,

I've looked it up, I got the N. gymnamphora in September 2002 from Thomas Alt as small TC seedling. My conditions are not as good as yours and so all of my plants grow much slower than yours. I.e. my N. inermis are a little bit older than yours and still haven't started to vine yet.

The N. singalana shown above is not from Andreas. The pitcher lid of this clone is pure red, not as green as the other two N. singalana I grow and also the pitcher shape is a bit more tubby. So it should be from a different parent plant. My oldest N. singalana is around four years old and pitchers are about the same size as yours. The peristome gets a bit wider with age, but that's it. Newly opened pitcher not fully coloured:

N_singalana_070104.jpg

Cheers Joachim

Nice Neps! I especialy like the reticulated patern on N.gymnamphora
cool.gif

Thanks for the info Joachim! I really like that N. gymnamphora pitcher. I wonder how different Wistubas clone will be from that clone.

Do all the peristomes on your older N. singalanas have that inverted heart shape with the slight horn in the center or is that just on this pitcher?

Hi Josh,

yes, all of the N. singalana pitchers have the lid shaped like this. In other pitchers this feature it is a little bit more prominent than at the pitcher shown.

Cheers Joachim

Very nice plants again Joachim
How do you find N. gymnamphora? Mine grew quite well in a closed area of my greenhouse but remained green. So I put it in the main more open area where the leaves are going a nice red/green colour and have increased in size. But the pitchers are still green and are now small not properly developed with shrunken lids! Perhaps it needs more humidity than some of my other highland which are thriving alongside it?

cheers

bill

Back