What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New pitcher pictures

I was watering tonight and just happened to notice the lid and peristome of this nice sized (35 cm) N. Miranda pitcher sticking up from behind another pot:
miranda2.jpg

another view:
miranda3.jpg

Here's a new pitcher on my N. rafflesiana giant (BE-99) from Borneo Exotics it's 15 cm so far. Hey Rob how big are these pitchers gonna get? As big as that pic of the scientist guy holding an enormous pitcher in your old website's photo gallery? That was such as killer photo!:
giantraff6.jpg

giantraff7.jpg

And a new 12 cm N. ventricosa red pitcher "from the rocky mountains of Borneo and New Guinea" according to the tag!
confused.gif

ventricosa1.jpg

ventricosa2.jpg

Lets see your latest pitchers if you feelin' like takin' some!  
smile.gif

WOW! great plants

wow, at my Mirandas current rate i should have pitchers that size in another 4 or 5 new leaves, each new pitcher is consistantly quite bigger than the one before it. my fiancee keeps asking when we can use it to take care of a couple of mice we have runnin around the house
smile_n_32.gif

Nice swords! I especialy like the N.x miranda.:p

Great pics! Do you really want to see other people's pictures, or are you just being polite?
smile.gif

Also, is your miranda from petflytrap (just curious)?

Pat

wow thats a nice miranda!!!!!! I really like your rafflesiana be-99 I have the same clone. Its such a great plant. Mines only a teenager at 8" (each leaf is 8")

Thanks for the nice words!

I love seeing pictures of pitchers so bring em on!
smile.gif

Rattler, I got this N. Miranda from a local nursery in MN called Lyndale Gardens a couple summers ago labeled as "N. coccinea" but it's certainly not like any other coccinea plants I've got. For the size of the pitchers there is not all that much fluid in there maybe 5 cm deep at most. I don't think any mice could be digested in there.

Nice Josh - The be99 is really looking nice!  I always got a hoot out of the picture of Rob's.. one day I will have a big enough lowland area to produce a giant N. rafflesiana pitcher! (now the big test.. can you figure out who it is in the picture? hehe)

Haven't had alot of time for photos so will only add this..
Upper pitcher on N. bongso.  Thought it was kind of cute with the ramispina pitchers popping up and the purple N. muluensis leaves.
Ncute.jpg

Tony

Yay! These are about a week old. I will try to post some more pics tomorrow. Currently cramming for a "pop" test.

P3110086.sized.jpg

N. glabrata

P3110083.sized.jpg

N. diatas 'forest form'

P3110065.sized.jpg

N. eymae

P3070015.sized.jpg

and N. veitchii (bareo highland)

Didn't post this one because it's not a pitcher picture, but you can still see a bunch of pitchers if you squint:
http://www.cpforums.org/gallery/myplants/P3110062 (N. tentaculata)

See ya,
Pat

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tony Paroubek @ June 02 2004,11:31)]one day I will have a big enough lowland area to produce a giant N. rafflesiana pitcher!

Tony
OOOOO yea I can't wait!!!!!

Lowlander area would be awesome!!!!!

Tony, Is it a young Rob in this photo? It's the best "mad botanist" photo ever! Just look at that leaf & pitcher!
biggrin.gif

For everyone else here's the pic we're talking about (linked from BE - I hope Rob doesn't mind)
giantraf_l3M.JPG

I like the peristome on that N. bongso! Such a vibrant green do the uppers develop any coloration?

TC the peristomes on the N. diatas (I need one of them) and N. veitchii are excellent! How big is the veitchii? Mines been growing so slow with no signs of pitchers like that anytime soon!

Hi,

very impressive pictures altogether!

Years ago in pre-WWW-times Rob shared slides of the plants he sold. He had pictures of many very impressive plants shown by a guy with very dirty fingers...
smile_m_32.gif

The upper N. bongso of Tony's plant is strikingly different from the upper pitcher my N. carunculata produces:

N_carunculata_280504.jpg

I'm still not confident that N. carunculata and N. bongso are the same species.

Cheers Joachim

P.S.: I've updated few of the pics on my HP last weekend.

My veitchii pitcher is about 4" (~10cm) tall. It's about 6.5" (~16.5cm) in diameter measuring at the widest part. I've had it since... early March. The pictured pitcher was just an upcurledm, fuzzy leaf when the plant arrived.

Also, if you like the N. diatas 'forest form', you may also like N. diatas 'meadow form'. Mine just opened a new pitcher, but it looks like it will be pretty similar to the last one, pictured here:
http://www.cpforums.org/gallery/myplants/P2060543

Pat

Heh? Ventricosa from Borneo/new Guinea? Now what did you get there Josh? And from whom?
As always you guys have great plants!
Volker

Nice picture Joachim.  There certainly is alot of variation in the N. bongso/carunculata group!  My plant pictured is the clone A from Exotica.  It arrived with no pitchers and has only made uppers.
This photo I borrowed from Exotica to show the lowers:
big_bonga.jpg

I also have N. bongso from Phill Mann and Malesiana and they are fairly different in pitcher shape.  Supposedly the Malesiana plant was formally considered as N. carunculata robusta.  All very confusing...

Tony

I noticed the comment about red ventricosa from the rcky mnts of Borneo and New Guinea also. What is up with that?
All the same, excellent photos.

Joe

PS Does anyone know when Phill Mann willb e up and running? It was supposed to be second week of May, last I heard.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]that pic of the scientist guy holding an enormous pitcher in your old website's photo gallery?
Hmmm, "Scientist" eh?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Is it a young Rob in this photo? It's the best "mad botanist" photo ever!
Hmmm, "Mad Botanist" eh?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Years ago in pre-WWW-times Rob shared slides of the plants he sold. He had pictures of many very impressive plants shown by a guy with very dirty fingers...
Hmmm! "Dirty fingers" eh? You must be referring to a hand with a metal watchstrap in one of Slack's books...

A curse on you all, may your BE-99's never attain more than 15cm in height and may your forest N. diatus turn out to be N. densiflora... Um!
confused.gif

Sorry, just my quirky English sense of humour.  Or "humor".

I never again saw a pitcher on N. rafflesiana like that one.  Photo was taken in mid 1980's at a ministierial seminar in Brunei where I was trying to persuade the Government there that there was an area of forest worth preserving.  BE-99 came from seed taken within 100m of the plant that pitcher came from.  Habitat is all gone now though, so no-one was listening.

BTW, I haven't changed a bit  
smilie4.gif

Apart from that. there are some fantastic photos of cultivated plants in this thread. Seems to me that folks are just getting better and better at growing Neps!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (swords @ June 03 2004,12:35)]Tony, Is it a young Rob in this photo? It's the best "mad botanist" photo ever! Just look at that leaf & pitcher!
biggrin.gif

For everyone else here's the pic we're talking about (linked from BE - I hope Rob doesn't mind)
giantraf_l3M.JPG

TC the peristomes on the N. diatas (I need one of them) and N. veitchii are excellent! How big is the veitchii? Mines been growing so slow with no signs of pitchers like that anytime soon!
I'm still trying to convince myself that the photo isn't 'doctored'. That's incredible!

My N. diatas persitomes don't look much like that, incidentally. Curious.

Very nice plants!

hehe thats a N. rafflesiana sillie!

That's terrible Rob, a real shame nobody in power was listening (of course that's not unusual). If there were Neps like that in the area just imagine what else was living on those old trails! Then again, maybe we shouldn't...
smile_h_32.gif

Back