Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too much light/heat? (pic)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry

I am a cp newbie and got my first Nepenthes several weeks ago (Nepenthes ventricosa).

I've put it on a windowsill that gets morning to early afternoon sun. I'm in sunny San Jose, California, and am wondering if it's getting too much sun or heat. Firstly, one of the pitchers got what I can only describe as a burn mark (see bottom of pitcher in photo). Also, the pitchers use to be nice and 'smooth.' Now they veins on a couple of the larger pitchers are starting to come up (like vericose veins). I'm a little concerned that this is an indication that it's too dry.

It may have happened while I was away last week and it didn't get enough water...

Any advice or inputs?

thanks,
    Warren

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you feed the pitcher? Cause that looks like a rot mark(whats the proper term for that again?) from feeding a new plant before it has a chance to recop and produce acids and enzymes
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I guess you could say it was fed. I didn't feed it intentionally, but somehow the ants found it (yes, they made their way into the house...) In fact, there were/are quite a few running around on it. Can I expect that this rot is going to spread on this pitcher?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've looked around a little bit at photos of ventricosa. I've seen a few photos with pitchers also having elevated veins, so I guess I'm OK with respect to light. It sounds like they like alot of light that a windowsill offers. I may not have been watering it enough though.

Also, I read one place that overfeeding isn't good for them. I'm a little worried that it got too many ants now (always a worrier), especially with pond boy's response.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Warren,

What is the general humidity in your area? My guess is that the best thing to do is shield it from strong sunlight and raise the humidity if its too low. Time will tell.

-Homer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Homer,

Just checked on the internet for humidity in San Jose. It's 88% right now (!). It looks like it gets to 20-30% during the day and 60-80% in the evening. I should probably get a mister.

Warren

United Kingdom (Bristol, England) I am orriginnally from Mostar, Bosnia(one of the countries of former yugoslavia)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there any water in the pitchers? I recieved an Nepenthes maxima 2 days ago for my birthday, and some people suggested to fill it up(there was no liquid in the pitchers) 1/3 to 1/2 with rain or disstilled water. As a result, the pitchers look more colurful and healthy. If you do fill up the pitchers, avoid feeding it insects for a while. I spray my plant 2+ times a day. The most important time to mist is at night. My Nep seems to be happy. By the way, are you sure thats Nepenthes ventricosa? I have seen photos of Nepenthes ventricosa, and it looks nothing like that.
    Carnivorous plants growlist:http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17597
    Onda je sultan pao mrtav do kostura

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is indeed a typical looking young N. ventricosa.

Does not look like burn to me. Burning from sun usually has a halo of partially damaged area surrounding the more intensly burned center. In any case just leave it along until the whole pitcher is brown then snip it off. If it doesn't get any bigger the pitcher will still function a bit.
    Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast