What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dream come true

smile.gif
My dream came true last night... Potting up a Nep from Jeremiah (thanks!), I decided to experiment with a new mixture. Well, it drains as fast as pouring water through air!
biggrin.gif
And it holds in water! YEEEEEHAW!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
there aren't any faces to use for this, but It really made my day!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
unclesam.gif
blues.gif
laugh.gif

I've used a lot of mixes, and the water sits on the top for like 5 minutes and it takes forever to drain
smile_m_32.gif
I'm sure a lot of other people have used my mix, but heris anyways:

SMALL grade orchid bark
Perlite, all grades combined
Peat
Sand

One part of each, I THINK... I just mixed the parts till it "looked" right, to me...

Sounds like a good mix for some other things as well, and might be good for some Utricularia, thanks for sharing that. I like a guy who's dreams and day is made by inventing new substrate mixes, but that will change one of these days, heh heh. You need to get out more.

BTW, Congratulations Spec, you just posted your one millionth emoticon.

Funny how times change. Mrs. Fleischman, my Senior High School English teacher (who looked and acted like a torpedo with bad hair) would reject any paper using more than one exclamation mark! Instant F. To this day, I feel her breathing down my neck when I use more than one, and it remains an act of sheer defiance on my part when I do so!!!!!

Emoticons, schmoticons! The word is the thing! Down with all this picture/graphic stuff I say! Can you imagine Shakespear using emoticons?

I'm tired of trying to figure out what all these pictures are supposed to mean. Pictures on the dashboard, road signs, camera instructions, drink dispensers. I'm starting to feel like an ancient Mayan (apologies to any Mayan TF members, its a very picturesque languange, but I read ENGLISH).

I mean, do you really mean to say at the end of line 3 that you are deleriously happy, patriotic and hip, hmmmmmm? Or, is it, you are a silly All American blues musician?

I get so confused......

laugh.gif
Oh my, William! You have me laughins so hard!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
laugh.gif
blues.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif
confused.gif
smile_m_32.gif

YEA! Just posted my 1 million and 8th emicotion! LMAO (sorry, couldnt resist)

Is there really a way to tell how many emicotions i've posted?
smile_m_32.gif

YEEEA! my 1 million and 9th!

The last paragraph has me rollin too. Tamlin you are something else.

Spec, You don't any LFS in your mix? Don't think it's not useful or do you think it is used too much in everyone elses so you avoid it to be creative? Just curios cause I do alot of mixing for my cactus. Looking for jsut the right mix. It gets very complicated really. ? Complicated soil mixing ?............................. Perhaps Spec isn't the only one who should get out more.
confused.gif

Joe

what about the anti-fungal properties of LFS what are you using in lieu of that?

I really never had a problem with fungus... My cephalotus pot full of lfs has fungus in it though... ON the lfs!!!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Unless you've fertilized the Ceph, the fungus on the LFS is probably a slime mold. Cool stuff.

And Mr. Dawnstar would be interested to know Shakespeare intended for Hamlet to say 2B R not 2B. But early voice recognition software misunderstood his dictation. And, disgruntled by the demands of fame and groupies, he signed his later work with an unpronounceable emoticon roughly translatable as The Author Formerly Known as Shakespeare. It looked kind of like this
mad.gif

laugh.gif

The fungus on the LFS isn't slime mold... its white and web-like

Wow, i thought maybe i'd open this thread and find a photo of your new N. edwardsiana or something, Spec!
biggrin.gif

Trying to overcome my ingrained frugality, i'm trying to use bigger pots for my plants in spite of how much medium it takes.  That means no more mixing it up in a little bucket in my room.  So last week when my roommate lent me his car i bought a big bag of small pine bark mulch and a bale of peat, and mixed up 10 gallons or so of a nep mix that smells lovely, drains well, and hopefully will work well.  It ended up being about 4:2:2:1:1 bark:peat:perlite:lfs:coco chips with a couple handfuls of charcoal thrown in.

I'm a bit scared about using bulk pine bark, but based on other posts i've seen here, i thought it was worth a try, because it's cheap and available locally.  At some point i'm going to try to put together a good mix without any peat or sphagnum to minimize the environmental impact of my mix.  I'm not sure how pine bark would fit with that goal, though. Unfortunately, all the coco by products are not available locally in bulk, or that would be the answer.

While pine bark is a by-product of the lumber industry,so there going to cut down the trees wether people buy the bark or not,it`s not like they cut the trees down for the bark.

Back