Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hey i got a 18"x 18" refrigerator

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Theres no arguing with Josh's results thats for sure. Beautiful plants Josh!
    I think I may have something here. I was thinking something along the lines of Trent's comment, about extending off the front of the fridge use maybe a small comp. fan and humidifier. I know humidity will stay in a fridge and just frost or sweat on things. I am gonna ponder on this a bit more.

Keep the ideas and what-not comming, you have already been very helpful
    Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well yeah, you could built a little funnel tray inside the fridge too, so even if the extra moisture sweats everywhere, it'll run right back down into your ultrasonic humidifier tray.

Hey, cold air rises, you could also put the fridge UNDER your growchamber. Dang, that would look wicked cool with the humidity flowing up. Or, put it on top - mount growlights to the parts facing down - and use a fan to blow it into the chamber.(heh, the few years I studied environmental resources engineering is coming in handy)
    A flytrap ate my homework!
    -Michelle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uh, cold air sinks, hot air rises. Those big beautiful balloons I see drifting over my house on Saturday morning are going up because of hot air, not cold air.
    If the open end of the fridge is in the upper part of the chamber, the cold air being produced will flow downward into the main part of the chamber. No doubt there will be some stratification, but fans could fix that.

Trent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, that's what I meant. I promise I'm not that stupid on a normal day [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img] . But anyway, wherever you place the fridge, fans could help regulate the flow and mix the humidity in as suggested. It'll be interesting figuring out where to put the lights (in, out, on the bottom of the fridge?) since it'll also change the temperature and flow of air. I'm also now wondering - are there fans to cool the fridge's motor anywhere? I'm wondering if that could be utilized instead of adding a fan.
    A flytrap ate my homework!
    -Michelle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WickedT, cold air falls (low pressure), hot air rises (high pressure)! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

Ah, I should've added that the air inlet for my setup is in the top rear left corner so the cold air blows in diagonally towards the top far right corner and descends over the plants. I don't have any condensation at all even with the humidity regulated to stay very high. It is likely due to air movement. In such a small chamber even a small fan will create quite a draft. At one time I had an extra pair of small oscillating fans in the chamber plugged into a reef wave timer as an experiment with cross breezes and alternating winds but there was so much air movement that the humidity wouldn't stay high enough.
    (Incidentally I'll be ebaying a reef wave timer soon! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img] )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Joe, Josh and Trent

I'm not one active member of the forum since I don't have so much time to answer lots of messages, however the issue discussed by you - how to make one cold chamber to grow CPs - interest me so much. In fact I'm hunting heads interested on this topic to make part of one discussion group specially dedicated to it on Yahoo groups called terrariumcontroll group where I'm the moderator. By the title you can have some idea about how we are planning. The discussion group is not completelly free, the subscription is under approval just to limit the mumber of members and to choose the people really interested on the project and if possible having some knowledge on the areas involved to make it. As one little appetizer I can say that we are planning use Peltier Cells (or TEC - Thermo Electric Coolers) as cooling/warmer devices and microcontrollers.
    By last, my thanks to Michelle for inform me about your discussion on the forum.

Best regards,

Joćo Roberto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh sorry, I forgot to say:
    Please send your answer to the following email:
    jrgabbardo@cpovo.net

Thanks,

Joćo Roberto

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12