Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spectabilis 73 is right. Hybrids with bical. do not have fangs. Apparently, the fangs are a recessive trait. We have seedlings of bicalcarata x northiana, and the spot where the lid joins the peristome is very similar to what we see in rafflesiana x bicalcarata or N. xCantleyi-a nub or protrusion, but nothing at all like a pair of fangs.
    As for how big to flower-you need a nice long vine well into the upper trap mode. There may be exceptions, but its never happened for us.

Trent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you get a male to flower before a female you can shake the flower stalk when it has open flowers onto a piece of tin foil and then fold this up into a packet and put it in the freezer and it will remain viable for a couple of months
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if you crossed a male and a female of a cross with N.bicalcurata together if fangs would show up in like say 25% of the offspring? Cause I think thats the way genetics work,when you cross a plant with a recesive gene(fangs) ,wich in this case would be f, with a plant with a coresponding dominant gene(fanglessness) ,wich would be F, you get offspring that all have the dominant(fangless) phenotype wich means they so the dominant trait,BUT they carry the recesive traitand so would have the genotype Ff Then if you cross 2 hybrid seedlings you get 25% plants with the pure dominant trait all F,25% with the pure recesive trait all f,and 50% with a dominant phenotype and a recesive gene as well Ff.
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woooh had to read that one a couple times to understand lol but as far as genetics go that sounds right (at least according to my psy. teachers lessons lol)

Maybe you found a solution to the problem!! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]
    ~Michelle (AKA Geva or Jennifer)

Grow/Trade List

Picture Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good question. I'm sure such a bicalcarata hybrid will be made one day and we'll know....

Trent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Assuming that the peristome is controlled by a single gene on a single chromosome that would be the case. Genetics unfortunately usually isn't so cut and dry with a complex structure such as the peristome. I would have to do some searching but I am sure there are hybrids already with plants involving N. bicalcarata that are then backcrossed to N. bicalcarata. I don't recall any of these more complex hybrids showing fangs either.
    For example N. bicalcarata x (bicalcarata x rafflesiana) (not sure if it is a real hybrid but was just using as an example of a backcross where a hybrid is then crossed back to one of the parents.
    Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast