Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Metal halide - 10,000 k for corals

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

I think it sounds fine. You'll just have to experiment and see what kind of growth you get. Sometimes I have no 2 bulbs that are the same on my setups.

As for reflective material, I recomment mylar. Check a local hydroponic store.

best of luck,

Homer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey Homer what are you talking about when you say the CRI is 92? what is 92 refering to? and are you talking about thier VHO or thier NO bulbs?
    https://www.instagram.com/hull.jess/ (I post pics of my plants there)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CRI is color rendition index. Basically means if you put a color sample under the light and look at it, how close will it appear in color to the same sample in sunlight. While nice for looking at your plants because it is based on human perception of color, it means nothing for the plants growth. Lumens and color temperature are much more meaningful as far as the plants are concerned. Lumens tells you the amount of light while the color temperature indicates spectrum balance.

Christian I wouldn't stress the spectrum too much, as long as you stick around the middle somewhere. Much more important is the amount of light.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a Compact flourescent 6500K and then accent with 4 different varying color spectrum bulbs. Basically cause I have them laying around.

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    May as well post this:
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (http://www.ahsupply.com/bulbs.htm @ June 15 2004,11:32)]
    The Color Rendering Index (CRI) for all 5500K bulbs is 91-92. That's "excellent" in CRI talk. All other bulbs in the 5000K to 6700K range have a good CRI in the low 80's. A common Cool White fluorescent bulb usually has a CRI in the low 70's. That's considered "fair." CRI's below 70 are considered "poor." Note that CRI is irrelevant for marine setups when the aim is to simulate the appearance under many feet of water rather than to simulate the appearance of colors under full spectrum light. Blue actinic bulbs used on marine setups usually have a CRI in the 20's or 30's.

The difference between CRI 92 and CRI 84, for instance, doesn't mean that all colors are rendered with 8% less accuracy with CRI 84. It only means that certain colors that depend on the wavelengths that the CRI 84 bulb is lowest in will be rendered somewhat less accurately. It is likely that the CRI 84 bulb will supply all the wavelengths necessary to render all colors you are interested in very well. That's why a CRI in the 80's is considered "good."

A lumen is essentially a measurement of brightness to the human eye and is therefore very heavily weighted to the middle wavelengths of light that the human eye responds to most readily. As such, this measurement is not very helpful for aquarium applications since the middle wavelengths are the least important to aquarium inhabitants. To focus on lumens can be very misleading. For instance, the 55W 5000K bulb in the chart above has 4200 lumens while the 55W 6700K bulb has 4600 lumens. Yet these bulbs have the same total light output. The 6700K bulb simply has a little more of its output in the middle wavelengths.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi guys,

There are so many factors for optimum growth. I am going to have to look into it.

Christian

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12