User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: N.hamata. how do you encourage quick growth?

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, You didn't know Griffin? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

ST does have hormones, not the gender hormones though [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif[/img]
    More like growth hormones.

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whoa, hang on a moment. Superthive isn't a powerful genetic hormone in comparison to something like Cinquefoil (not sure about the spelling). This is a chemical used to attempt mutating plants (such as marijuana) to avoid easy detection. This chemical can also change sexes on deiodecious plants (single sex plants) in extreme circumstances but it is also very toxic to humans. Superthrive is not the same. Also orchids are not single sex.

I do not bother with super thrive because it is NOT a fertilizer, it is hormones, a growth enhancer. To enhance growth there has to be the basic nutrients available to have growth to enhance. These nutrients are: Nitrogen (N), Phophorous (P), Potassium (K) and the minor elements as well.

The best kind of fertilizer to use if you think you want to use it, is to buy non-burning Urea Free orchid fertilizer. This is an immediately available form of nitrogen that can be absorbed as a foliar feed, or root soak compared to standard fertilizers which must sit in the soil until bacterial action breaks it down to a useable type of ammoniacal nitrogen. I use a brand called Growmore (PM me for a website where you can buy it). I blend 1/4 teaspoon of bloom formula and 1/4 teaspoon of Tropical formula in a gallon sprayer of distilled water. I mist small neps who can't be fed insects about once a month and my orchids and other plants once every week or two. Inbetween fertilizing I mist all plants every couple days with pure water so there is no buildup.

I will say that since you have pitchers, the absolute best way to grow your plant (one of my fave species by the way) is by feeding with insects. I feed all active pitchers every 1 to 2 weeks with appropriately sized insects and do I not fertilize the feedable plants because they will eventually quit pitchering if they are continually fertilized and not fed. Certain species are more finicky about that than others. N. rajah and N. hamata seemed to appreciate the light fertilizing when they were young but the N. ramispina quit pitchering for about 4 leaves until it had worked the fertilizer out of it's system. The natural (insect) way is always the best if you are after bigger and better pitchers! Too much fertilizer (or superthrive)will give you a big plant and tiny pitchers, or even no pitchers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (HellzDungeon @ June 15 2004,8:16)]im serious...
    a orchid groiwng friend of mine has said this that he has had some freaky results with plants, resulting in changed sex, and other freaky things, due to the hormones and who knows what in super thrive
    thats y its 1 drop per gallon for regular use,
    or 1 drop per cup for a high concentration
    im gonna try this when i get a chance with an extra nep
    another friend of mine wants to see if it can change the sex a certain plant that yields a certain illegal substance from the female flowers(if u know what i mean...)
    Hellz
    Lol. sap on leaves not flowers. It`s just this certain fiberoous plant produces more of the toxin in the female plants. Tell your "friend" that growth of this plant is HIGHLY illegal even though I do know it makes a great plant to plant around your garden to keep away pests.
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (swords @ June 15 2004,10:51)]Whoa, hang on a moment. Superthive isn't a powerful genetic hormone in comparison to something like Cinquefoil (not sure about the spelling). This is a chemical used to attempt mutating plants (such as marijuana) to avoid easy detection. This chemical can also change sexes on deiodecious plants (single sex plants) in extreme circumstances but it is also very toxic to humans. Superthrive is not the same. Also orchids are not single sex.

I do not bother with super thrive because it is NOT a fertilizer, it is hormones, a growth enhancer. To enhance growth there has to be the basic nutrients available to have growth to enhance. These nutrients are: Nitrogen (N), Phophorous (P), Potassium (K) and the minor elements as well.

The best kind of fertilizer to use if you think you want to use it, is to buy non-burning Urea Free orchid fertilizer. This is an immediately available form of nitrogen that can be absorbed as a foliar feed, or root soak compared to standard fertilizers which must sit in the soil until bacterial action breaks it down to a useable type of ammoniacal nitrogen. I use a brand called Growmore (PM me for a website where you can buy it). I blend 1/4 teaspoon of bloom formula and 1/4 teaspoon of Tropical formula in a gallon sprayer of distilled water. I mist small neps who can't be fed insects about once a month and my orchids and other plants once every week or two. Inbetween fertilizing I mist all plants every couple days with pure water so there is no buildup.

I will say that since you have pitchers, the absolute best way to grow your plant (one of my fave species by the way) is by feeding with insects. I feed all active pitchers every 1 to 2 weeks with appropriately sized insects and do I not fertilize the feedable plants because they will eventually quit pitchering if they are continually fertilized and not fed. Certain species are more finicky about that than others. N. rajah and N. hamata seemed to appreciate the light fertilizing when they were young but the N. ramispina quit pitchering for about 4 leaves until it had worked the fertilizer out of it's system. The natural (insect) way is always the best if you are after bigger and better pitchers! Too much fertilizer (or superthrive)will give you a big plant and tiny pitchers, or even no pitchers.
    Cinquefoil changes plants sex?! I have that growing all over any instructions on turning a male Nep into a female?
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    darn...
    thought u ppl would believe anyone [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    o well... the jig is up [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]
    looks like u guys have been studying
    Nike SB is Bananas

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DUH

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Swords i have also had excellence results with Orchid fertilizer. I use orchid 30-1010 Peter at California Carnivores also using 30-1010 as well. Heliamphoras enjoy this power mix fertillzer too they will bloom much more often when receiving this product. Best luck to you.

Drew
    http://Geocities.com/southerntropicals

http://www.geocities.com/southerntro...rewstsmall.jpg
    Welcome to S O U T H E R N T R O P I C A L S the nepenthes and heliamphora garden.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, it's not the herb Cinquefoil (I knew I'd mis spell it). It's a chemical spelled similarily-I wish Trent were here, I think he and I discussed this some months back. If I had my dads old high times mags I coudl tell you.

The danger with that chemical is that it is dangerous to everything and everyone and I think there are probably regulations to control it's sale these days. I don't know that it will predictably change sex, possibly only in extremely rare cases and I believe the myth was that the seeds had to soak in the stuff-not mist it onto a plant.

Also, remember, as a gene mutating chemical, what you may end up with is something that doesn't resemble a Nepenthes anymore, that wouldn't be cool!

Go buy crickets, feed 'em to the plant and wait. This is the best all around advice! In proper conditions when your N. hamata gets about 6" in diameter it will begin to grow much faster and once it begins to vine (about 18-24 months from where your plant is now looking at the pics) you'll have a bush! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast