User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: N.hamata. how do you encourage quick growth?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The name of the magical genetic changer is Colchicine
    It disrupts The aligning of chromosomes during Mitosis and causes polyploidy, or multiple chromosomal cells. polyploid plants are larger and grow more vigorously than other plants of its kind non polyploid (look at todays strawberries at the supermarket compared to homegrown ones)
    im not kidding....
    this stuff can also affect humans in thier reproductive organs
    it's very toxic as welll to us
    heres an article from ICPS
    Colchicine hazards
    Nike SB is Bananas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Polyploid most notably causes thicker tissue which has the consequence that the plants, flowers, fruits etc become larger. They do not necessarily grow faster or more vigorously. Otherwise your correct about it's toxicity and dangerous nature. It does not however cause genetic mutation by altering the chromosomes themselves.. just changes the number in the cell. There are other ways to cause mutations within genes though.
    Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all:

very interesting topic indeed. i Have attempted to induce polyploidy in ceph seeds and all i can tell you at this moment is that if the concentration increases from 0.04% of the agent to 0.05% of the agent, the seeds become non-viable.

Gus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    agustin, u experiement with colchicine? wow, that cool
    Tony, you are right, but what if when the chromosomes are knocked ouut of alignment, if an X and Y chromosome switch, changing the sex of the subject?
    i want to try this out
    Hellz
    Nike SB is Bananas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I finally caught up on this thread.
    Are you folks talking about changing ploidy through the use of colcichine (yea, I mis-spelled it too). Orchid growers use this to change diploids into tetraploids. I've seen the results on multi-floral Paphiopedilums. It only works on about 20 percent of the seedlings, but Wow!. The growth is thicker and larger, and so are the flowers. Unfortunately, tetraploids tend to grow a bit slower too.
    Have to agree with Josh 100 percent on the Growmore fertilizer. We've experimented extensively with different fertilizers on Nepenthes, as well as techniques of application, and have settled on the GrowMore formulation. We use the high nitrogen formula, not the bloom bloost. Michelle(my lovely and charming wife who is quite the Nep grower) has demonstrated to me consistently the positive attributes of GrowMore and her fertilizer schedule which really works. This info will soon be available on our website (that's why I never post pictures-want it to be a surprise).
    We've also used SuperThrive, and found it most effective in treating seedlings suffering transplant shock. Superthrive is vitamins, not fertilizer, and thus does not substitute for fertilizer. Plants need those essential elements (see Josh's post), but they must be applied in a manner they can be absorbed and metabolized.

Trent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trent beat me to the punch with a much better and entertaining explanation than mine.
    The only thing I would use ST for is a soak when repotting to curb any transplant shock.
    Ivan Snyder has done extensive experimentation with colchine for Drosera and I think he has made fertile offspring of normally sterile hybrids. Don't quote me on this.
    Where does one find "GrowMore?"

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cool, where can one get colchicine?
    i want to see something with it...
    Hellz
    Nike SB is Bananas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joe, it's really embarrassing to say this, but Home Depot sells GrowMore in their "orchid section" here in Florida. It's available wholesale in five pound tubs as well. I'm fairly sure it is manufactured by a large, wholesale orchid grower located in Arcadia, Florida....okay, I'll mention the name because they strictly sell on a wholesale basis, but maybe a phone call to them could point you in the right direction for you folks in the hinterlands (Nebraska). It's the Sun Bulb Co.
    Helz, colchicine is really expensive and dangerous, and the treatment used with orchids is done at the flasking stage. I believe it is included in the nutrient formulation for the agar. It is a poison, and I have heard flaskers say you can kill the entire bunch of seed if you're not careful. It can also kill you-it is highly carcinogenic.

Trent

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast