User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: My first "growchamber"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, this is pretty simple for now. Just a ten gallon tank with 2 sheets of plexiglass for a lid. Light comes from the window(East facing) and so far everything is cool. The pitchers "veins" were a tad more visible at first prolly because it was getting used to the humidity. That seems to have dissapeared now, but I won't be surprised if the pitcher keels over early.

You can see the ventricosa blood in this guy!

Any idea why this new tendril seems smaller?

This plant(Gubler nep) dried out and the pitcher it had attaced dried out too. I'm kinda surprised it survived and is still trying(notice that a new tendril is coming out...and also that there are pitchers on the end...don't think those will mature though). Wish it luck!

This 10 gallon will obviously soon be too small. I may use plexiglass to construct a larger one when the time comes(my Dad still doesn't believe the plants will eventually get large). Then, I'll just use this for a fishtank....LOL

how high should the permanent enclosure be? I would like it to grow tall, but I will be keeping it in bounds by doing a cutting every once in a while.
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, that ventrata looks great! You know, you'd get a lot better light if you boosted that tank up about six inches so the plants could see out the window better! The VFT especially would like that. Anyway, depending on how much trimming you want to do, a bare minimum of 2 feet tall would work. The more the better, though.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plants look nice. (well except for the one that dried out lol) I would recommend getting a 2 tube 2foot long shoplight to suppliment the light. Or if you have room for another tank next to that one, you could go with a 4foot model fixture and light both at the same time. The plants will make a noticeable improvement in color and growth, as an East window alone really isn't bright enough for strong healthy plants.
    Tony

Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something to consider. I severely doubt my dad will approve though. Its going to be 110 in July soon...you will start feeling queasy if you are outside any longer than 15 minutes durign midday...lol

I'll bump the rack up a few inches. Thanks!
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis