User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

View Poll Results: Growth and feeding poll - How do you feed and it's effects

Voters
274. You may not vote on this poll
  • They catch lots of insects on their own and I don't suppliment.

57 20.80%
  • They infrequently catch insects and I don't suppliment.

32 11.68%
  • They are not able to catch insects and I don't suppliment.

11 4.01%
  • I regularly put food into the pitchers.

89 32.48%
  • I use liquid fertilizer sprayed onto the leaves.

14 5.11%
  • I use fertilizer at the root zone (liquid or slow release).

12 4.38%
  • I drench the entire plant with fertilizer.

9 3.28%
  • I feed the pitchers AND use fertilizer on the leaves or roots.

50 18.25%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Growth and feeding poll

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I fertilize my plants once every month with orchid 30-10-10 and it works very well I've noiced increased picther size and they look much more lush. I used to feed mealworms but it seems they had a hard time digesting them. So I switched to wax worms since they are very soft bodied. They also seem to be fattier so I have to be careful not to overfeed and kill the picther. Since feeding wax worms I've noticed they respond to these alot faster then meal worms. For my smaller plants that can't fit worms in thier pitcher I use cichild pellts crushed into little pieces. The cichild pellets have more protein then the koi pellets and the plnts can digest them really fast. I've noticed that my N. nothiana has started growing much faster when I started feeding crushed pellets. Its tendrils elongate much faster then before.
    https://www.instagram.com/hull.jess/ (I post pics of my plants there)

drosera guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Osmocote on all young plants/seedlings. The older ones do not get fertilizer or prey because I am too lazy.

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feed crickets to newly open pitchers. I just started to try some fish pellet food because my discus do not eat them.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like the overwhelming majority suppliment in some fashion.

Osmocote works great for me but has it's drawbacks. Algae and moss can be a big problem. It can be difficult to apply to flats of tightly packed plants. If the prills lodge in the leaf axils or growth tip it can burn the plant around the prill. Frequent overhead watering to keep the fertilizer moving through the root zone and out the bottom to prevent high salt buildup and root burn. Estimating when to reapply can be sort of a guessing game.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feed my plants pill bugs and flies,fertilze ocasionaly using a 50% miracle grow african violet food solution,applyed with a Q-tip to the leafs.
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Josh,
    I noticed a mushroom a few weeks ago in my rajah pot... I don't think it has to do with impurities, but where your soil media is stored. Fungi supposedly can grow on zero nutrients for short periods of time, so perhaps spores got into my media and sprouted? I did repot recently just because it is getting so big, and there were no signs of this mushroom...

As for feeding... I made a long post in the other pinned feeding thread, but generally weekly suitibly sized dried insects hit the spot... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]
    I am back..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a dual purpose supplement I like to release a pack or two of ladybugs into each grow chamber. They do a great job of keeping pests under control(some pests anyway).
    Then, when they are done cleaning, they kindly hurl themselves into the pitchers. Lady bugs are just smart enough so they last a month or so before the last one falls in. Then I get more......>;-D
    I have also started using orchid fertilizer 1/4 strength on a regular basis(thanks to everyone here for that seemingly obvious tip), and WOW! What a difference! Everyone is nice and green, and a few (macrophylla) are doing that huge leaf thing Tony has going on there.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a while I didn't feed my N. alata anything except some occasional cactus/succulent 7-7-2. It caught the occasional fruit fly or ladybug. I recently began watering with 'egg water,' as reported in Chris Creel/David Parks' Nepenthes guide; charred eggshells broken into fine peices and left to brew in some water for a week or two.
    In the past two months, since starting the egg water, my plant has pitchered more than it did in the entire two years I had it before that. It put out two new vines at its base shortly after I began watering, and has developed four tiny pitchers on the new leaders and three modest 2" pitchers (it was in a 2" pot until last week) on the original shoot since.
    Before the egg water, I'd had four, maybe five pitchers total in almost two years. I know that isn't much output in general, but I've had this guy on fairly low light (western window and one two-foot 40-watt fluorescent) for the majority of his stay with me. I consider the results I've seen with that egg water stuff to be pretty impressive, and I recommend that everyone try it if they haven't already. The details can be obtained off of Barry Rice's sarracenia.com FAQ page (it's in the FAQ library, with the Nepenthes guide.)
    I know this thread is a little stale, but everybody should know about this stuff!
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast