User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

View Poll Results: Growth and feeding poll - How do you feed and it's effects

Voters
274. You may not vote on this poll
  • They catch lots of insects on their own and I don't suppliment.

57 20.80%
  • They infrequently catch insects and I don't suppliment.

32 11.68%
  • They are not able to catch insects and I don't suppliment.

11 4.01%
  • I regularly put food into the pitchers.

89 32.48%
  • I use liquid fertilizer sprayed onto the leaves.

14 5.11%
  • I use fertilizer at the root zone (liquid or slow release).

12 4.38%
  • I drench the entire plant with fertilizer.

9 3.28%
  • I feed the pitchers AND use fertilizer on the leaves or roots.

50 18.25%
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Growth and feeding poll

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richjam1986 View Post
    I've just started putting osmocote tablets into the pitchers (one or two per pitcher, depending on it's size). I Also have liquid orchid firtilizer but I havent tried it yet. Does anyone have any experience/insight about putting osmocote into the pitcher verses using liquid firtilizer. I know you can put osmocote onto the soil, I guess I just have an aversion to doing that/ irrational fear of over firtilizing maybe.
    Which one might be better? I've worried about the osmocote possibly not being able to break down propperly without exposure to air in the pitcher fluid, but I don't know if that fear has any basis. I guess I will just have to see if the pelets break down after a longer period of time.

Thoughts?
    Thanks,
    Richard

I've heard of people doing that, Richard, but I certainly don't hear it often. I tried putting osmocote pellets in five or six different pitchers and at least three of them developed mold (although this could have been unrelated). Also, I don't really like the idea of the pellet sitting against the plant for that long, despite the guarantee that the pellets will not burn the plant. Instead, I have taken to just spraying a little bit of orchid fertilizer into the pitchers when I foliar feed the plants.

That being said, I do add three or four osmocote pellets to the soil of my neps, cephs, and heli. I've only done this once, and will probably do it again in 6 months or so. On top of that, I fertilize the soil with orchid ferts, which I strongly believe is the best way to see dramatic growth. Foliar and pitcher feeding alone doesn't seem to cut it, IMHO.

Oh wow, didn't realize how old the post I responded to actually is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mato77429 View Post
    I've heard of people doing that, Richard, but I certainly don't hear it often. I tried putting osmocote pellets in five or six different pitchers and at least three of them developed mold (although this could have been unrelated). Also, I don't really like the idea of the pellet sitting against the plant for that long, despite the guarantee that the pellets will not burn the plant. Instead, I have taken to just spraying a little bit of orchid fertilizer into the pitchers when I foliar feed the plants.

That being said, I do add three or four osmocote pellets to the soil of my neps, cephs, and heli. I've only done this once, and will probably do it again in 6 months or so. On top of that, I fertilize the soil with orchid ferts, which I strongly believe is the best way to see dramatic growth. Foliar and pitcher feeding alone doesn't seem to cut it, IMHO.

Oh wow, didn't realize how old the post I responded to actually is.
    Well, I got back to reading it, so no post is too old to respond to! Thanks for sharing your experience. I'll keep experimenting with that in mind.
    Richard
    Da' mishu
    Provo, Utah.

My Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...29#post1089429

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I currently just starting dripping very diluted organic fertilizer into the pitchers and around the base of some of my Nepenthes. So far I've witness no bad effects, but I will keep you guys posted, hopefully I can conjur up some before and after pics.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mix up about 4 gallons of orchid fertilizer and water at 1/4 strength and drench each plant in the water. It goes everywhere, on the leaves, in the pot and some in the pitchers. After two days, everything is flushed out with tons of water. So far it has really helped some plants but some the results aren't as noticeable. The plants are outside so they catch bugs and even lizards.

Only started about four months ago but the results are obvious. Here's a picture of a N truncata x maxima after being fertilized for about a month. Those are two consecutive pitchers. And the previous one was only slightly bigger than my thumb!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow good results! How often do you fertilise them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I have fertilized my neps and cephalotus for two years using Grow more 20-10-20. Once a month in the winter and once every two weeks in the summer. To be honest I have never seen any real improvement in growth or size. I think every improvement in my plants has come from a positive change in conditions. In fact I have had several plants take badly to it. I now just feed crickets or wax worms. My collection is fairly large, so this is quite a pain. Im thinking of trieing Max sea brand. I hear of many people swear by it.

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They catch their own food and I supplement with bigger stuff too. Most of the pitchers have hundreds upon hundreds of tiny little ants in them. I also catch larger spiders, crane flies and other bugs and feed them to the plants, sometimes chopping them up (while living, mwahahahaha) to fit them in the smaller pitchers. I also foliarly spray plants with Maxsea at a very low concentration and I got a 2-3 times larger leaf jump on my N. singalana 'Belirang' as well as leaf jumps on many of my other plants. Just started coffee and I flush two days after, haven't noticed a difference yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CreatureTom View Post
    Wow good results! How often do you fertilise them?
    Everything gets fertilized every other week. I think the good growth is from a combination between the fertilizer and the large amount of bugs they catch.

Just wondering, can coffee be used together with fertilizer?
    Last edited by dueoka; 06-18-2012 at 12:17 PM.
    -Arthur

Growlist

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast