User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

View Poll Results: Growth and feeding poll - How do you feed and it's effects

Voters
274. You may not vote on this poll
  • They catch lots of insects on their own and I don't suppliment.

57 20.80%
  • They infrequently catch insects and I don't suppliment.

32 11.68%
  • They are not able to catch insects and I don't suppliment.

11 4.01%
  • I regularly put food into the pitchers.

89 32.48%
  • I use liquid fertilizer sprayed onto the leaves.

14 5.11%
  • I use fertilizer at the root zone (liquid or slow release).

12 4.38%
  • I drench the entire plant with fertilizer.

9 3.28%
  • I feed the pitchers AND use fertilizer on the leaves or roots.

50 18.25%
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Growth and feeding poll

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought it would be fun to revive some feeding talk after seeing some explosive growth on my own plants. I am a big advocate of feeding Nepenthes as my feeling is that many plants are starving because of the very high quality water growers use, the inorganic potting mixes, and the lack of significant insects inside terrariums.

Here are a few pics I took to show the kinds of growth these plants are capable when growing conditions are correct and there are no major limiting factors to their growth, such as a lack of nutrients.

N. veitchii highland x lowland in a 3inch pot

N. mira in 1gallon nursery pot. This leaf really surprised me as it is already putting out very large pitchers on a good sized plant.

N. diatas meadow form

My method is slow release fertilizer although I occasionally feed dried/canned crickets or freeze dried bloodworms to select plants as well. If I could have my way I would just feed all my plants with insects. Out in the greenhouse they do catch a few bugs here and there but the pitcher density is so high there are not enough natural bugs to go around, so some form of supplimenting is needed.

How do you feed (or not feed) and how do they respond in growth?

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they are cuttings with no pitchers or otherwise small plants that I can't feed with crickets then I do spray them with Growmore orchid fertilizer: 1/4 ts of bloom and 1/4 ts of tropical formulas to 1 gal of water and 5 mls of Yamato Green aquarium plant micronutrient fertilizer (lotsa Fe!). I mixthis up in a gallon sprayer and use this blend on everything I grow, not just neps but once in a while I will hose down all the neps with feedable pitchers with this Growmore solution just as a makeup to get them those micros they probably like. I do think there is more nectar and pitcher size/fluid production when feeding is concentrated through the pitchers but that might just be my perception and not actual fact. I do know my N. ramispina did not appreciate fertilizer and I won't ever intentionally spray him again, crickets only!

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have began adding ants and flies and lightning bugs and really any bugs I find that are small enough to fit in the pitchers. I release them in the chamber and they go about their business or fall into a pitcher. I did notice however the ants have began to make a home at the base of my bical, with a tunnel that goes down into the LFS. I figure this would likely happen in nature so I let it be.

Any comments on that?
    Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only thing I would fear is the ants possibly farming fungus in their nest (maybe only a few species do this?) that wouldn't be so great for the Nep but it would be a steady supply of food if they were relatively benign. I'd just keep an eye on the plant for any possible problems.

I noticed this morning that there is a small mushroom growing out of my N. hamata pot!

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right now my bical is livin it up. 2 pitchers are full to the lip with ants. I do not feed them they either fall in or they don't. I just let chance or nature or whatever decide the ants fate and the bical is sooo full the ants walk in and out now. No rotting is happening though. My camp. X veitchii is getting its fare share as well.

Swords, I'll keep an [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img] out for that though.

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's hard to argue with your results, Tony. Personally, I feed dried crickets, and koi pellets, but not much of either one. I'm wary of spraying them for fear of spurring growth of all kinds of things in the lfs mix. And even though they're almost all in my house, they get a small share of flies, mosquitos, and fungus gnats.

So, just to be clear, Tony, you use those little pellets, and you place them on the surface of the soil mix?

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My plants catch many on their own, but i DO dump in a bunch of fruit flies now and then (have thousands of extra)

Tony cleaned his rubber hand! AND THERES A RING ON IT! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img] Never knew his rubber hand was married... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img] Take a pic with the female rubber hand with the male one next time! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a newbie at this so I'm still trying to feel around and see whats best. Right now my Nep also has an ants nest in it and it gets a few ants now and then. But they're so tiny I highly doubt it does the plant any good. I can't see how those lil things would have any nutrients to offer. So when ever I come across a bug like an ant or crickets I'll give it to the plant.

I also have koi pellets and I'm thinking of using those as well. And I'm thinking of giving it crickets more often because I grow crickets for my two green tree frogs.

But the good thing is I must be doing something right cause my plant looks happy and is growing new leaves with pitchers. Which is a relief because when I bought it, it wasn't in good shape.

The other day I went back to the store where I got it and the other Neps that were there when I bought mine were doing so bad. It was sad [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img] I wish I had the money to rescue them. But, maybe they'll mark the price down once they don't look sellable.
    ~Michelle (AKA Geva or Jennifer)

Grow/Trade List

Picture Thread

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast