What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mite attack!

Hi
I have got a couple of Neps lowii & ovata which have had more than their share of problems since I got them in March
confused.gif

Now they are producing rather weak thin growth and I can see with an eye glass these tiny red mites everywhere!! They are NOT red spider mite however. In the UK there is a very limited range of pesticides now available, and these have no effect on these sapping pests. I have picked a few off with a small brush dabbed in Drosera mucus!! But I am sure there are loads out of sight in the growing point. Any ideas how to get rid of them for good??

cheers

bill

There is a miticide called Avid, which contains a paralytic agent known, I believe, by the name of avermectin. If you can get ahold of some of this, it should solve your problem. Follow label directions carefully, for the LD50 for this stuff is lower than for a number of other common pesticides. Also, multiple applications may be necessary. In any case, don't take chances with mites; they are a truly insidious pest!

Hi all:

It'd be great if you could show us a picture of the sick plant. This way, most of us can learn the damage done by these insects. I have had that once before, but i used a miticide that contains Difocol and it got rid of those mites once and for all
smile.gif

Hi Bill,

Vertimec and Kiron are the two products available here in Germany. They are very expensive and only sold in big amounts for professionals. I think I saw one seller also supplying small amounts for amateurs.

Cheers Joachim

Hi
Thanks for your comments.
I will take a photo shortly.
Alas in the UK Vertimec, Kiron & Avid are not available
smile_l_32.gif
Indeed most chemicals seemed to have been removed from the market place. I found an old bottle of Malathion last night and have given them a spray with that. I do know my N. glabrata suffered badly from mites for ages and was eventually saved by using Malathion, even although the chemical itself did further damage to the plant!!

cheers

bill

That rots that you can`t get them in the UK.:( Why can`t you did they ban them?
confused.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pond boy @ June 20 2004,5:53)]That rots that you can`t get them in the UK.:(  Why can`t you did they ban them?
confused.gif
Yes those particular chemicals were never to my knowledge in the UK. And other ones that were and did a similar job are now banned!
Here is a photo of one of the affected plants:

lowii.jpg

The newest leaves are far narrower as you can see. The plant has been stressed ever since I got it my MT in March.

cheers

bill

Hi Bill:

Thanks for the photo. The plant looks a bit stressed but....have you seen them crawling around?

Gus

[b said:
Quote[/b] (agustinfranco @ June 21 2004,4:35)]Hi Bill:

Thanks for the photo. The plant looks a bit stressed but....have you seen them crawling around?

Gus
Hi Gus,
Yes I have seen these very tiny "red dots"! moving around. I saw similar pests on my glabrata a few years back when that was producing similar leaf growth. Since I did the Malathion treatment I have not spotted anymore, so fingers crossed. I have a feeling that this lowii will look pretty poorly for some time yet, although I did find a tiny basal growth developing today
smile.gif

cheers

bill

Back