What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joe, I was thinking of visiting that wacko Peitrapaulo once but William said unless you want to meet the meanest most cold-hearted man on Earth, then don't visit him...although he had/has a D. schnizandra with leaves the size of your hand growing in a Mayonaise jar........guess Austrailian Drosera like Mayonaise.....

OKay Im Game or just stupid LOL Who is tony? and what place is this that was visted.. Really nice plants and looks like nice people.. My daughter would love that place!!!

Jim

Great pictures and plants.

Tony is from Par O Bek Orchids. He is in North Central, New York.

N. maxima clone from Jeff Shafer. 9 inch (23cm) tall pitcher (on left)
max.sized.jpg

Hi Dustin
The Maxima clone is a beauty.

Bye Julian

Hi, thanks Julian! I have a few more....

1_G_007.sized.jpg

N. diatas meadow or forest? Is labeled meadow...
2_G_007.sized.jpg

N. sibuyanensis
3_G_004.sized.jpg

N. sibuyanensis
4_G_002.sized.jpg

N. rajah

Hi Dustin
Ive got a sibuy on order as i think its a wicked plant and cant wait to grow it,i was going to grow it as an intermediate,what conditions do you grow yours in?
Ive always fancied growing Rajah but have never got round to it do you find that its fairly easy to grow?is it easy when young but does it get more demanding as it gets older.
Im also getting Bongso and ramispina,do you grow these?

Bye for now julian

Hey julian, I grow my N. sibuyanensis in highland coniditons lows can reach into the mid 40's (5-8C) at night and up to 70-80 (25C+) in the daytime. It recieves daily timed misting overhead and is kept cool in the day by the use of a swamp cooler.

N. rajah is not too difficult contrary to the popular belife but it must be given a strict set of conditions. Temperature is one of them, day time can go as high for the sibuyanensis and the same for night time. I have found it needs a big pot to grow well! I have mine in a 1 gallon size nursury pot (I belive that's 4 liters or more in metric/) Mine got recently attacked by earthworms but I repotted and waterlogged the new pot and soil to drown any remaining pests. Now it has put out this wonderful pitcher for me.....I've waited since May 03 to see any pitchers on this plant due to the worm attack and climatical factors probably. So far, its just got bigger in the new pot......every leaf is noticably larger in surface area. Pitchers should be topping off at around 13cm (5inches tall sometime soon!

I grow N. carunculata/bongso whatever it is yes and it recieves the same conditions as the rajah, sib, etc. I do not gorw N. ramispina yet however.

Hi Dustin
Thanx for the info i shall put this in to practice.I think Rajah
will have to be given a go in the future thats for sure.
Ive also after reading posts on here think that if the pitchers
are allowed to reach the soil or rest on LFS that they tend to be bigger,what do you think?
Thanx again Dustin
bye for now julian

I have had much better luck if the pitchers do rest on some surface while forming. I had one pitcher no form until it did rest on the ground. Which seems quite logical to me....I mean the plan has primarily ground pitchers in the wild!

Nice! Always good to put a face with a background noise on phone call orders! (Ben) I love the plants and pictures! Thanks for sharing!!
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nepenthes gracilis @ June 30 2004,9:06)]N. rajah is not too difficult contrary to the popular belife...

...I've waited since May 03 to see any pitchers on this plant due to the worm attack and climatical factors probably.
Hi Dustin,

so I won't imagine what you call a difficult plant...
smile_m_32.gif

Wasn't the N. rajah the only plant of your collection affected by earthworms - strange coincidence.

Great pictures and plants as always!

Cheers Joachim

Those pictures are just astoundingly beautiful! I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that nature could create something so awesome, but its still a shock whenever you see something new and cool like that.

Anyways, I hate to be the immature pervert, but....

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]http://www.cpforums.org/gallery/albums/Dustins-CPs/12_G.sized.jpg

That one, while beautiful, just looks inapproprate.
smile_n_32.gif
I dig how the texture on the lips somewhat resembles an earthworm too.

Hey Joachim, thanks for the kind comments on the photos. A difficult plant for me would be N. aristolochioides, it seems to be very sporadic producing pitchers in phases and then fizzling out again...puzzling. Lowlanders aren't my big focus either but the new heated partition in the greenhouse should make them much happier. And yes the N. rajah was "attacked" by earthworms.....I honestly have no idea how they got in the pot.

Fygee, I like that picture! lol

Very nice.

I didn't know NY state had so many Neps.
smile.gif

Dustin,

I am too far out of college to remember anything about analid biology(worms), but I would guess that there were eggs in the peat? If you did not use peat, then ...whew, I am just grasping at straws now, but if you wet down the whole area when you water, small wormlings may have been able to climb to where the drainage holes are and enter there?

Joe

Joe, I assume they came fomr the wild sphagnum that I use. I did have a very high concentration of it in the older mix. And i've never had a problem before I used the wild sphagnum...perhaps I jsut got a "wormy" bunch.

If he is, I'd like to visit one day. I'm on Long Island. How far upstate is it?

Back