What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How big would you go

Hi,

This has probably been beat to death, but hopefully, weeks away from costructing a grow chamber in my basement with pvc pipes as the frame.
How big can I make it, if I use a 1000 W MH lamp? I was thinking about augmenting the light by using mylar as a first layer.
I have visited people with this kind of chamber and I have seen 7 x 7 with no problem and one person , I think, has 8 x 10, but has a track that moves the light back and forth.
I have read literature by people who supply lights that say only 4 x 4. I guess they would sell a lot more lamps if people believed they only cover half the area they should, lol.
I am guessing the height to be no more than 6'( I am only 5'8) and plants will eventually be on benches.

Thanks,

Joe

Hi Joe,
We've been propagating Nep cuttings under a 1000 W Agrosun in an 8' x 8' space. Lamp is 6 feet from the floor. The center of the space is too bright, and some of the cuttings actually flowered! Nice pitchers too. Granted, it is not a highland chamber-we use it to get cuttings established quickly in winter, to grow out during the summer. Only problem is we had to give up a spare bedroom, so I doubt if it will be used as a highland chamber with refrigerator, thermostats, etc. I thing you should be okay with a similar dimension, but keep a watchful eye on the plants directly below the lamp. It is intense!

Trent

i'd make all the sides out of mylar except for the front so you can see the plants, then make a shade out of mylar and you can pull it down over the front side when you dont have to see them.

I'm making my walk in growchamber in the greenhouse ( a heated partition essentially) and will be just a 2 x 4 frame covered in UV stabilized plastic (polycarbonate like) and lighted in the winter with some regular fluroescent fixtures. Heated with some heat cables and insulated with that foam sheeting.

Trent,

Is that with Mylar or not on yours that burns in the middle?
Would that be a good spot for Sarracenia or Drosera9ie binata complex)?

Thanks,

Joe

1000w metal halide is very powerful. Hard to avoid a hot spot under the light with the light intensity diminishing the further out you go. Personally I would go with 2 400w spaced out a few feet or get one of those rotating things for the 1000w so it's not sitting over the same spot constantly.
T

Hi Joe,
Actually, there were no sides. The cuttings are placed in large 'clear' plastic tubs with the swing open tops, and then place in an 8'x8' area below the light. They get fourteen hour days, and believe me, they strike quickly. I put a piece of shade cloth over the center group of tubs because the light is so intense. I'm six feet tall and the light just brushes the top of my head. Also, the room is air conditioned, and typically, all last winter, the highs were about 82, the lows in the wee hours of the morning anywhere from 58 to 65 F. We've taken it all down for the summer, and all the cuttings have been moved to the greenhouse and are well established. It is expensive to operate, between the AC and the 1000 w MH.
One day we may build a highland chamber, if only to bloom select clones to use in hybridizing. I feel the super bright 1000w Agrosun might be the ticket to forcing tall vines of N. sanguinea, N. burbidgeae(dream on!), carunculata robusta, and others to flower. Not ready to make that move yet.

Trent

I actually have two 400 watts I found at a garage sale for $50 ea. I may go that route then, but I was hoping to save them for possible heli grow area or something. I might actually have a third 400 wt. I have a feeling if I run all four lamps, my better half will force me to get a part-time job to pay for all that electricity...she would be
mad.gif

Would you say you could build a taller chamber with a 1000 watt, then?

Thanks,

Joe

when I and a buddy both had grow rooms, he had his first and he went with the 1000wtt MH and HPS rotation. He had the same problem as descibed with the "hotspot" so he moved it up 1ft but then noticed outer edge plants began to lose alot of light.
I on the other hand used 4 400 or 500 wtt MHs and didn't get the "hotspot" and had much more even light distribution through-out the room.
Unfortunately it all was very costly and no longer have the room for growing.

Joe

Back