Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: N. eustachya

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have read that N. eustachya is a good intermediate plant. From what I have seen on otherís web-pages, some grow it under lowland conditions, others in highland. I currently have mine in a lowland set-up of 75F. nights and +85F. days. Are these temperatures too high for it in the long term? Any advise will be welcomed. Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was growing mine under hot lowland conditions and the plant lived fine but the pitchers did not last more than one month or two. New ones always developing but old ones always rotted pretty soon after being fed.

Well my plant outgrew the strict lowland chamber so I moved it to my intermediate chamber which goes with whatever temps my house is (plus the metal halide heat during the day). Well the plant grows even faster now and has produced several upper pitchers (the latest is 19 cm high). The other old pitchers last far longer and can be fed many more times when the plant has a nightly drop to 60-70 year round instead of 70-75* which it was getting.

I am growing the red x white form BTW.

Good luck with yours!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all:

I like to compare your growing conditions with mine. I am growing the red and purple form as a highland and it is producing pitchers. It may have stopped now, but i'll keep everybody posted in a month or so. I also notice that the purple X red form does like a bit more shade than most neps.

The red and white form, does not like intermediate conditions at all, because i've had it for 4 months and no pitchers have been produced yet.

Check this link out;

http://agustinfranco.proboards29.com/index.c....5971936

Gus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice pic of a small Cephalotus and warning that I can't look at that page but there's nothing about N. eustachya there! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

All I can tell you is my plant grows far better and pitchers last much longer in intermediate conditions Days 80-90*F nights 60-70*F than they did in my hot and sweaty lowland chamber where I gow the N. bicals, ampullaria, insignis, clipeata, campanulata, etc. Maybe you have yours in low light? I've never had a problem getting the pitchers on my N. eustachya. But then I also blast mine with 400 watts of metal halide light. The leaves are covered with a thick waxy substance that I can scrape off with my fingernail. The leaves don't color up at all but they turn sort of bluish from this waxy coating. Maybe that kind of lighting abuse helps promote pitchering? Now I saw today that I've got some basal shoots on this meter + vine so maybe a flower spike someday soon as well!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Exotica Plants (Australia) 'E' form which is red x purple.

Being Winter here right now my conditions are more highland although I do aim for intermedtiate all year round. Not the fastest grower I would say that mine prefers the slightly cooler temps

The plant was a bit slow to settle in and threw a few small leaves while establishing but is now producing larger and nicer formed leaves and pitchers.

Few pics:

Aaron.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    eww swords? is that like nectar?

i wonder what would happen if you ate enough of it...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice!
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, the waxy coating on the leaves isn't sticky or nectar like. It's just like the wax that comes out from cactuses and succulents who exude wax in high light situations.

I like to see that wax cos then it gives me pitchers like this:

(18 cm upper pitcher of red x white)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast