What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who has neps in spike/flower?

well this has been a great week. i have successfully grown a CP from seed for the first time(D. spatulata from Hong Kong) and today i look over my plants and what do i see a flower spike on my N. 'Miranda'! another first for me, a Nep in flower! i swear it wasnt there yesterday. the "vine" is only about 7 inches long, granted it has 7-8 inch tall pitchers but i really wasnt expecting it.

i dont know what sex it is yet but is there anyone who has a plant in spike/bloom that may be interested in a donating/recieving pollen for a 50/50 split of the seeds? for those who dont know 'Miranda' is (northiana x maxima) x maxima so who may have an interesting species/hybrid to make another interesting/complex possibly new hybrid?

Rattler

P.S. ill post a pic of it sometime next week

I just had a male nepenthes ventricosa flower... I haven't collected any pollen, but I do think there is a little bit left on it... anyone interested?

I have fresh and freshly frozen preserved pollen from my N. fusca Tambunan Road (sabah) form's dual flower spike.

Here's a recent intermediate pitcher, and some flowers...:

fusca3.jpg

fuscaflower3.jpg

fuscaflower4.jpg

kewl, like i said im not sure what sex it is but i guess ill hope for female. how long does it usually take for the first flowers to open? so is it supposed to be hard to get neps to flower or they like most other plants where if they like the conditions flowering is more or less a sure thing every year? also what tends to trigger them into flowering? this Miranda is in cramped quarters at the moment and was repotted only about 2 months ago. i guess this hybrid really doesnt mind having its roots messed with.

also i thought Neps "vines" before flowering. this plant from soil level to the base of the newest leaf is only about 7 or 8 inches. the internodal space is very short compared to most of my other neps making for a very compact plant.

Rattler

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ June 27 2004,8:28)]kewl, like i said im not sure what sex it is but i guess ill hope for female. how long does it usually take for the first flowers to open? so is it supposed to be hard to get neps to flower or they like most other plants where if they like the conditions flowering is more or less a sure thing every year? also what tends to trigger them into flowering? this Miranda is in cramped quarters at the moment and was repotted only about 2 months ago. i guess this hybrid really doesnt mind having its roots messed with.

also i thought Neps "vines" before flowering. this plant from soil level to the base of the newest leaf is only about 7 or 8 inches. the internodal space is very short compared to most of my other neps making for a very compact plant.

Rattler
what shape are the flower bugs? If they're round, its a male. If they're oval, it's female

For me the N. fusca flowered a week or so after I had replaced the light above the plant. The plant is a meter tall and kind of cramped against the lid but it had made a large basal rosette and I had accidentally let the pot go very dry. I spray the highland plants almost daily but somehow I had aparently forgotten to water the fusca directly for about 2 weeks (!!) cos the pot was very light but lo' and behold there appeared a flower right after a heavy watering!  Perhaps a bit of both the stress with the lack of root water and replaced lighting.

Here's a male N. fusca flower bud unopened:
fuscaflower5.jpg

well if thats true im guessing its prolly male. until i see pollen im going to hope for female though
smile_n_32.gif

Rattler

Once your flower opens it's plain to see as a male if it looks like the first flower pic (the second one with yellow is polen bursting out) which shows the column and antherhead females have no column or antherhead just a long oval ovary.

I see today that the N. Miranda and N. aristolochioides x thorellii are both sending out flower stalks as well! Hopefully one of these three plants in flower will be a female! Perhaps Miranda x aristolochioides x thorelii, for possibly some mammoth sized aristo pitchers? That would be fun!
biggrin.gif

im all for it. if mine is male ill store the pollen. lol i would just like to be part of making a cross that can be traced back to me, picking out a couple outstanding plants from the cross to become culivars. plus theres the fact i havent attempted to grow a Nep from seed yet, i missed out on the bical seeds that were distributed not that long ago. one of my other neps, ventrata i think or possibly rokko, was labled as female when it was shipped to me. so i should have atleast one of that sex but its alot smaller than my Miranda at the moment and prolly wont flower for a year or more yet.

Rattler

I have a female khasiana that is sending up a spike, nothing open on it yet so it is fully available. If anyone has any interest in passin pollen my way I am happy to provide half the seed back.

i was hoping for a plant a lil more colorful than khasiana but if you want pollen from my Miranda if it turns out to be male yah can have all yah want. i just want enough seeds so that i can get atleast a couple plants out of it if i do my part. you can do what yah want with the rest. i should know in a couple of days what it is for sure as a couple of the lower flowers look about ready to open. thanks for the offer!

Rattler

If you would rather wait and see what Swords' plants turn out to be that is fine by me.

Or if Swords or anyone else) want to utilize my female I am cool by that as well.

I am just making my plant available to the masses.

well if swords N. aristolochioides x thorellii turns out to be male i would rather have seeds of that crossed with yours if they are made availible to everyone on the forums
smile_n_32.gif
i think that one would be more interesting than my Miranda with your khasiana.

Rattler

smile_k_ani_32.gif
NOOOO! All the pollen on my vent flower FELL OFF last night! all the stamens are wirnkly and black! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ June 28 2004,1:02)]well if swords N. aristolochioides x thorellii turns out to be male i would rather have seeds of that crossed with yours if they are made availible to everyone on the forums
smile_n_32.gif
i think that one would be more interesting than my Miranda with your khasiana.
I am inclined to agree with you but that choice is Swords.

Truth be told I probably would keep very little seed so half would go to who ever provides the male and 90% of my half would get spread around to others (probably like I did for the bical seed.) I would only keep enough to pass off to a TC friend I have.

Well I'm up for any hybridizing experiments but it seems you guys are thinking a female can only be fertilized with one kind of pollen. Since the flowers open in succession you should be able to pollinate the first flowers with one kind, tag that section and then in a week or so pollinate the next section of female flowers with new/different pollen, and so on all the way up the flower spike. Potentially a female could give birth to a different cross on each flower if you were a real expert at not spilling pollen onto the other flowers.

swords, thats what i was going to do should mine turn out to be female as long as those donating the pollen didnt mind the possibility of a mix up. i wasnt going to ask someone else to try to deal with the headache of lableing and keeping them straight.

Rattler

Swords,

I though of that but from the look of it my spike isn't going to be super large.

I also did not expect to get too many takers after my earlier post and my list serv post both went unanswered...

I can take multiple males and have a tagging system in place already that should transfer over well for Neps

like i said your more than welcome to any pollen i get. i would just be interested in a few seeds for myself and you could distribute the rest as you see fit. i see no reason to send abunch to me since ill be just giving most away too unless you wanted to cut down the amount of work for yourself.

Rattler

My fusca pollen notice went unanswered as well, I guess it's just all up to timing of your flowering notices!

Back