What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Saving nepenthes pollen

Good Evening Folks,

I am wondering what is the best way to preserve Nepenthes pollen when no other females are in flower? Can one put the opened flower stalk in a baggy and freeze it for several months, or does that render the pollen sterile? Curious because many times my male plants are in flower when my females are not and I would like to pollinate them at a later date. Finally, does the pollen virility decrease the longer each successive flower has stayed open? Any advice would be welcomed.

Thanks greatly,
Joel

I have heard that it can be stored in the fridge for a couple of months. Not sure if you're supposed to keep the whole flower or remove the pollen...My guess is you should remove the pollen.

You might want to try finding James Cokendorfer (not sure on that last name spelling) He was doing work on storing Nep pollen.

Space Cowboy,

Thanks, I forgot I had James' email. He pretty much said to shake off the pollen onto wax paper and then transfer the pollen into a vial or container and air dry or fridge dry it. Then it can be stored in the freezer for a year. He said quick drying it in a cool place is best, like a fridge. Also, the more the smell the riper the pollen. I have noticed that when the neps are in flower they give off a rather unpleasant odor. So thanks for the tip. James also said he should have a paper on the subject coming out soon. Good job!

Joel

Back