What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The monster hangeth

Thanks to adnedarn I am able to make your eyes bug out of their sockets, thanks Andrew!  Below you are seeing a recently produced hybrid of N. trusmadiensis x N. maxima supreme.  The resulting seedlings all expressed some variation, but this plant came as a result of friend Phill Mann's efforts in Australia.  He asked me to come up with a name, and "Mann's Monster" lept into my head.  I think he might go for it.  The plant is in the production stage in Phill's nursery.  I swear you could probably get an echo from shouting into the pitcher.  Enjoy!

trusmadiensis_maximasupreme.jpg

I have several other photos to share via email, feel free to drop me a line at tamlindd@yahoo.com

Is there something about Phil Mann where he has exclusively huge and ancient-looking plants? That thing is amazing!

Capslock

Nice suggestion on the name Tamlin ;>
It's a really neato hybrid. (technically N. maxima x trusmadiensis in Phills version) Exotica has some small seedlings of a cross they made but Phill did it first. The N. maxima shortens the time to get upper pitchers which show the N. lowii influence nicely. The variation is really quite interesting in the seedlings. Some are much more N. maxima looking like the one pictured and others are much more N. macrophylla looking.

I was fortunate to get 2 seedlings when Phill had a few extra. They didn't look all that exciting when they were small but they have gotten better and better. Always amazes me how these things change as they grow and mature!
ANYWAY.. here are the 2 side by side .. plants about 12" diameter with 8" pitchers..
NmaxXTrusAPA_APBCR.jpg

Tony

Wowwee! That's an awesome cross. Speaking of echo, the shape reminds me of those old hearing horns that folks used to use back in the day.

Hi all:

That's why i like my countrymen. They have a way with neps. I would not be surprised if any of them get N. mollis.

Gus:D

Yowza!
biggrin.gif

What kind of conditions does this grow in? How big does the plant itself get in diameter?

WOW
I think i want one of those, i can see a space in the greenhouse already
smile_m_32.gif

Bye Julian

You could play; "When the Saints go Marching In" on that sucker.
Absolutely awesome plant.

That's a spectacular plant and pitcher for sure. Your plants are sure flourishing this year. You live in your own little Garden of Eden...

Why the heck can't I see anything?
smile_h_32.gif

A friend of mine in the UK also hooked up with Phill and used some of Phill's x trusmadiensis pollen to pollinate a veitchii he had. This was a couple of years ago. I think it was a lowland version, but the offspring should have some nice individuals.

Cheers,

Joe

Great Scott! 1.21 giga-neps!

That this is just plain WILD.

Ok, first off to answer the question of why Phill has ancient and huge looking plants the man is a Master grower if even one walked on two legs. Phill is an amazing man, even amongst amazing men. He is sort of a hybrid between Crocodile Dundee and Charles Darwin and has explored all of Australia and much of Borneo studying and collecting these wonders. He also has a nice greenhouse operation in Australia, and so has perfect conditions.

Secondly, this is not MY plant, LOL. This thing would take half my growroom to fit it in. I can't comment on the growing conditions.

As for wanting one, I can relate! Imagine how I feel! If you know me at all you know the depth of my addiction. I would LOVE to cultivate these plants dproperly, but I have no GH. If I did, I would likely be buried in Nepenthes, but I can't accept them under my conditions....so I sweat and itch a lot, and look at photos and sigh. Phill is good at making me do that.

This one is in the production phase of things and won't be available right away I think. As Tony commented, the seedlings of this cross produced very varied forms, and this one was Phill's favorites from the lot.

I knew you guys (and gals) would appreciate this photo, hee hee. Now you know how I feel and we can all lust together.

Maybe I can get him to actually post a comment on this thread, he IS a member of TF, although he is always too busy hopping around the outback to have time to post.

By the way, my marketing of his CD "Carnivorous Plants of Australia" was to raise funds to support his efforts in introducing the Australian CP species to TC, and to support his addiction which has got to be one of the worst cases on Earth. The CD remains available for 15.00 to US resdients and 20.00 outside the US. ALthough it does not cover Nepenthes, it is a great CD. It runs for about a half hour and is as close as may of us will ever get to OZ. I encourage you to purchase one today, you'll be glad you did!

I second that! It's a great CD that I really enjoyed watching.

Capslock

Hi Tamlin:

You don't have say so much about Phil. He's a legend!.
He sent me some photos of the trusmadiensis X maxima and he told me that each sibling looks different from the other. I think that hybrid's been one of his greatest success when it comes to nepenthes culturing!

On the other hand, i am aware that Geoff is cooking a trusmadiensis X belli (you just can imagine how beautiful that must be!

Gus

Hey, I have one of those Trusmadiensis x veitchiis! I don't know what plant producer it's from exactly but I got it from Cooks about a year or two ago at 1" diameter or so. It's supposed to be a lowland hybrid?
If so, maybe that explains it's slow speed in my highland chamber... It's finally making a 3" pitcher but really not looking spectacular or anything yet. Anyone have a pic of that Trus x veitchii in a large size?

That is the most AWSOME !!! looking Nepenthes I have ever seen , I want it !
smile_t_32.gif

smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif
That is an AWESOME Nepenthes.

Back