What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General advice needed

Just some random nep questions that I've been wondering about. First off, I have a very nice N. sanguinea that had about ten pitchers on it. One day, within 24 hours, all but one rotted, turned brown. and fell off. Wierd. No growing conditions had changed, and I have had it about a year. Any idea what happened? It came back just fine, and has two nice pitchers now, so I'm a little confused....
confused.gif

Next, I have a really stubborn N. rafflesiana that has been in one of my lowland tanks almost a year now, and hasn't put out one mature pitcher yet. I had a second one (just traded it for a ceph) and it did wonderfully, so I didn't know what the problem was. I put out one that should have grown and opened long ago, but it grew to the size of my thumb and stopped. Then I moved it to a new tank, and it grew some more. Then it stopped again. The other one did fine, so again, I can't figure out what's wrong. It's got 80%-95% humidity, bright, filtered light, the correct temperatures, soil..... Uhhhgg. Maybe there's something I forgot or don't know.
Another stubborn plant is my new ampullaria. Like my sanguinea, It got settled in when I got it (about a month ago from black jungle) and did fine. New pitchers, new leaves, etc. Then it's largest pitcher turned brown and died. The others followed. Then it came back. And it happened again. Now it has only one immature pitcher, and a dead brown one. I'm leaving it on till the entire thing dies, there's a little green left. These phases appear to have left it exhausted.
smile_h_32.gif
But it survived. So I don't think it's going down any time soon. My plants have a habit of coming close to death, and fighting it out. I once have a D. spatulata that I didn't water for about a week. That was because I left it outside in 85 degree weather in a mini terarium and didn't know where it was. Then it poured, knocked the terrarium over, and I think it almost drowned the plant. When I found it, its leaves were dry and brown, the roots were rotting, and it was covered with mold. Now it's sitting on my porch.
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Just a little story there.
Another little thing here- Why do neps sometimes pitcher only on one side? I have a ventricossa that has so many on one side, and none on the other, that It's falling over, even though I staked it up. I tried rotating it, thinking it was light. Didn't work. Opposite dirrection and it still pitchered on the same side. No clue what that's about.
On a non nep note, my king sundew has stopped producing dew. It's a pretty little bugger, bought off cook on ebay. It's been thriving in a terrarium with my heliamphora, and was doing very well for a few months. Now it stopped producing dew. No clue what that's about. No change in the climate, temp, light, etc. And no, I'm not misting it or anything. Again, inexplicable.

WOW.

OK, that's all my problems for today. Nothing to serious, as nothing is fatal or irreversable. Just wierd.

Thanks,
Craig

Hmm. What kind of water are you using? Are you sure your soil mixes are correct? That's about all you didn't cover there. Also, are you making sure they get air circulation? They don't like stagnant air at all.

Capslock

Same thing happened to my N. Judith Finn. The weird thing is the pitchers that all died in a day or two was the immature pitchers. Then a week or two later, I discovered that the Judith Finn was finally making more mature looking pitchers that were alot more elongated and more colorful then the immature pitchers. So I am guessing that my plant is going through transitional phrases, and as it hits some stages all the pitchers from the previous stages die. It maybe a concidence or maybe this maybe happens... Any inputs from anyone else?

hmmmm..... air circulation is good, I have a fan going in there. We use well water, I had it tested a year ago. It's almost perfect, don't remember the numbers though. Soil mix.... hmmmmm..... not sure abou the soil requirements of ampullaria...
What are they?

Thanks,
Craig

Sorry to hear that horror story Craig...  as for the N. amp mix, I just used the same mixture that the rest of my Nepenthes are in.  

Capslock brought up a good point.  If you can get some R/O or distilled water, use that on some plants you are having problems with.  See what happens.

regards,

Homer

I'll try distilled water, that might help. Thans for the suggestions! It's really not that much of a horror story, just sort of odd and freaky occurences. OK, maybe a horror story!
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Another stubborn plant is my new ampullaria

This is one I can give some advice based on experience: Don't give up on it. I have an amp that is now doing rediculously well. When I got it, it did nothing ('cause I didn't know what I was doing), then I finally got it in good conditions. It hovered close to death for nearly 6 months before it did anything. Then, over the period of about 3 or 4 months if started to improve. Now it's growing like a champ, and it just grew it's very first basal pitcher (right up from the ground). So patience is the key with this one.

Back