Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: N. truncata

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I had time maybe I could make you a flash movie where a person can scroll back and forth through the process. That's iffy though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    leucophylla, did you notice the other developing pitcher of another plant (on the right) in the photos? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] Is it a truncata too?
    Cindy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi All,
    Like Tony, we've got a number of clones all growing together in the same area of the greenhouse. They grow pretty consistently the same. The big difference is between the tissue cultured plants and the seed raised plants. Plants from tc grow faster. It grows at about the same rate as N. veitchii from what I've casually observed. Michelle thinks it'
    s a little slower than veitchii. All Neps grow faster when daylight hours are longer than twelve hours. Anyway, my two cents worth...

Trent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have three N. truncata from three different sources, two lowland and one highlander (Wistuba "Red"?) and I have found them to be one of the most vigorous sp. under local conditions (Guatemalan highlands). One of my plants, purchased as a tiny TC waif from Cal Carnivores in 1999 is now a 1.40 m diameter monster (kinda beatup right now from getting knocked over by the gardener, but anyway). Ditto for the Wistuba and MT plants - these things get massive QUICK when happy!

As for the speed with which they add new leaves; I suspect that they can expand a new leaf (not pitcher) and extend the tendril much of its final length within 4-5 weeks outside here. I have a pitcher maturing now that looks good to go 38 cm that I estimate took about two months to expand.

I have found they full sunlight for a good part of the day is more important than warm temps. When I grew them inside the conservatory they were much slower growing then when moved outdoors. Jan lows here reach 2 degrees C. Photoperiod ranges from 11:13 to 13:11.

Bifn/SJ

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My truncata grew verrrrrrry slowly when I first got it...it stayed small for a long time with 2" pitchers. Then all of sudden it started growing much faster. I wouldn't say FAST exactly but definitely a faster rate. It started throwing large pitchers pretty quickly...it went from pitchers of a few inches to a 7". It has a 9" pitcher now. But it is getting cramped...a situation I must solve soon.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    whats the diameter of your truncata with 9" pitchers, suzanne?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cindy: Oh, I notice pitchers popping up everywhere... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] But I guess you mean the photo. This is a N. ventricosa x northiana, a pretty hybrid so far, you can see a complete pitcher if you click my www-button below. I'll try to keep it in the picture. This kind of lowland-Truncata wouldn't turn that dark (I know there is a very dark Highland form).
    Trent: I am surprised that you say that TC-plants are faster, I keep on reading it the other direction a lot. But I can not really judge since I am traveling too much to establish long term relationships with my Neps. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] I guess these Malesiana plants are also TC'ed.
    Photoperiod is also around 13:11.
    http://pitcher-plants.com/bannersmall.jpg Manila, Philippines, Elev: 80 m, 24-33 C

Tropical outdoor growers: Please visit our Carnivorous Plants in the tropics forum

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123