User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Growth at the base of several neps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I am basically a sar and drosera guy, but I have my share of neps...since I don't know a TON about the plants, can someone help me here. I have growth coming from the bottom of my one plant...I believe it to be a n. alata, but I am not sure because I got it un id'd. also, I have a giagantic n. alata (the thing no lie is about four feet across), can I just divide this thing in the slower months and repot it? also, how long does it take cuttings from the n. alata to root? I have them in vermiculite, sphagnum and another loose medium component that escapes me right now...thanks in advance...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gonna take a wild guess here and say your plants are most likely N. xVentrata a cross of N. ventricosa and N. alata.

Typically when a plant gets large and 'viney' it will sprout shoots from the stem down around the base. IE basal shoots. Perhaps this is what your seeing. Cuttings will take a month or two before you actually START to see active growth. It will take several additional months before the recent cutting starts producing decent pitchers again. Just keep the humidity really high, light and temperature moderate, and try to not move them around while roots are forming...
    Tony

Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    before repotting it may be best to check with the other growers on here and see how well it tolerates it. i realize that all Neps eventually have to be repotted but some species really dont like it. others, like my 'Miranda' dont mind and seem to enjoy it. it varies from species to species. im not sure on alta as i dont have it and if Tony is right and they are ventrata im not sure either as mine hasnt needed repotting yet.

Rattler
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/