What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. villosa

[b said:
Quote[/b] (superimposedhope @ July 11 2004,5:38)]Cool, very nice man.
Teeth always look cool

Joe
If you like teeth take a look at this: teeth!
smile_m_32.gif

That's a pitcher of a flowering N.villosa in Mt. Kinabalu. That should give you an indication of how old it is, and how big the pitchers get.

Good going and nice pics, neps!
I should think yours is halfway to flowering, the one in the thread above is an exception. Grown o' natural, you know.
smile_m_32.gif

Jason

I think Villosa it is definitely difficult.

I had tried everything from regridgerator to expensive cooling systems.
it still died on me

Hmmmm.

First, I would like to clarify that I did say "...the more difficult spp..." (note the plural termination) not the MOST difficult sp. - am I incorrect in placing Nepenthes villosa in this group? The best one I ever had, from Andreas Wistuba, was filched from its pot as a wee sprite by a kleptomaniacal band-backed wren and presumably (hopefully?) now adorns its night-time bivouac. I still pray that one day soon it, a fully-developed plant with massive pink-orange pitchers will konk me on the head as I wander about the yard ;>) The term "difficult", for me at least, includes plants that are maddeningly slow to grow. Yes, I still class this taxon thusly. I also watched two other TC plantlets wither away to mulch despite my efforts & entreaties, so maybe this one is just not to be for me.

I do agree with most comments here that cultivating Neps, even the "difficult" ones, is child's play compared to keeping certain other organisms alive in captivity.

None of this, however, detracts one iota from my admiration of this grower's obvious skill and patience!

Bifn/SJ

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Thanks for your reply. I thought the plant you have is not a young one!. In other words, it'll take years of careful cultivation for this species to produce those wonderful pitchers if you acquire a small seedling now.

Gus, you are welcome. Yes, it will take a few years to grow
this plant to good size.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]It is interesting when one thinks difficult to grow.. I haven't found any Nepenthes difficult to grow. Difficult to replicate the conditions they want yes.. but once this hurdle is crossed the plants are very easy. To me a difficult to grow plant is one that even under ideal perfect conditions still will die in the blink of an eye 99 out of 100 times (there are quite a few orchids I have grown that would fall into this catagory).
Tony, I agree completely.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I am tempted to put a chest freezer in my greenhouse!
You should! Given your dedication and skill, I am curious
to see the outcome!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Good going and nice pics, neps!
I should think yours is halfway to flowering,
Thank you, Jason! I do hope so!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I had tried everything from regridgerator to expensive cooling systems.
it still died on me
I am sorry to hear this. Perhaps, if you can determine the
reason for your lack of success, another attempt is in order?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I do agree with most comments here that cultivating Neps, even the "difficult" ones, is child's play compared to keeping certain other organisms alive in captivity.

None of this, however, detracts one iota from my admiration of this grower's obvious skill and patience!

I must concur with your remarks regarding the difficulty of
keeping other kinds of organisms alive, for I have a reef tank,
and as we all know, many of the organisms living there are
very sensitive, indeed!

In any event, thank you for your kind words!

Back