Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cooling methods

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Couldn't you just rip the cooling units out of a fridge and hook it up to a thermostat?
    Then throw in one of those foggers to keep it a bit more humid? (cooling element will most likely bind humidity, thus lowering the relative hum...)

/Quensel
    Spam, sausage, spam, spam, bacon and spam, Spam, spam, sausage, spam, egg, bacon and spam, Spam spam, spam, spam, tomato and spam...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey guys thanks heaps i think ill just have to experiment with all the different cooling methods such as ice etc.

Thanks again
    Olly
    A Chinese Proverb:
    Do not want others to know what you have done? You should not have done it in the first place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Griffin,

Can you elaborate more on the "six pack fridge" you mentioned getting at Toys R Us? Is there a brand name, and how much did the unit cost? This sounds like it has potential.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Olly

My new puppy's name is Ollie. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Yeah...that six-pack thing sounds interesting for cooling a small grow chamber. Hmmmmm... wonder if they have them on eBay...
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tamlin,

I will look for it. It is hidden in the dungeon-er, I mean the basement. I was only $20, if you can believe that. I also got a fog machine for the same price. It's for Halloween special effects, but I thought it might do the job. The brand name escapes me, but if you do a search on their website, you might be able to find it there.

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coleman and igloo and all the big cooler companies now make small coolers that will hold a few sixpacks of soda. They will run on either 120 or 12volt and use peltiers to keep the soda cool while the cooler is in the car and not require ice. Someone used one of these to build a small highland chamber by removing the lid. Essentially like using the chest freezer but on smaller scale. My thoughts are still that you will need a whole lot of peltiers to effectively cool a noninsulated terrarium which makes thermoelectric cooling impractical and expensive compared to refrigeration/AC systems.
    Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AHhh, peltier cooled. I see. I have pretty much abandoned the peltier concept. I have an engineer friend working on this in Brazil (he needs it to be able to grow many of the cool loving plants, ironically which are from Brazil!) and we are pretty much decided that the water cooler method with a circulating pump and filter will probably be the most economic and feasible approach. That way, the terrarium itself doesn't have to be cooled, only the substrate. There will be a temperature control placed in the medium to switch on the pump after a certain degree rise in the substrate. This will be a substrate terrarium vs one to hold pots since the water willl circulate from the base and be replaced. This should remedy some of the faults in such a closed system and make a healthy substrate terrarium possible. I need this to be able to cultivate Heliamphora. My plants are all but dead again, and I feel I can't win with them without the terrarium. Grrrr. The problem with indoor growing Heli's is they either sit there and do nothing (not enough energy in the tubes for them I think, esp. shining through the glass of the tank), or they dry up outside without the needed high humidity. Such are the agonies of not owning a GH.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm, what exactly are AC systems?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast