What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cooling methods

• Thread starter Olly in oz
  • Start date
How do youguys and girls think is the best way to cool a tank down to the 50's at night. Any comments would be great.

Olly

I used ice Olly, but only in the short run. I now rely on natural cooling for my greenhouse to cool down. As for cooling a tank, go for ice, peltier system (quite a bit of hassle) or you can do what member "swords" has done here, re route some air from an AC unit and re humidify it with an utrasonic fogger and direct it into the tank.

Olly,

Where do you live and what type of temperature ranges are you having to combat?

Aaron.

Well, according to his profile...

Sydney Australia

Cheers,

Joe

peltier junction, or thermoelectric as some say.

Yes I use ice for my one Darlingtonia, but not very effective as the ice usually melts in an hour or so. You can get peltier junctions at your local electronics store, straight off the shelfs. Maybe evaporative cooling would help? Sounds like what swords is doing, lithopsman designed a system intended to bring the temp down by 10 degrees celcius or so. Can't seem to find the thread now...

-Jason-

Whoa, that's my name! Actually, I was seeing cooling like this:

The lights off brings down probably 3-4 degrees, the peltiers another 2-3, and the fans just blowing fresh air probably added about 3 more for cooling. Remember, this is all in *F.
smile_m_32.gif
The thread is in the Greenhouse/Terrarium section...
This methon is strictly experimental at this point.
~LM~

Hi Olly:

I am trying something similar using ice packs, but the glass tank should be covered with styrofoam to keep the changes of temperature inside the tank.

Gus

whats peltier junction do? how does it work?

I still don't believe peltiers are practical for a large sized uninsulated grow chamber. If you want serious cooling (15-20degrees below room temperature) it needs to be refrigerated as in refrigerator/freezer or a rigged up AC system.

They do make 400-1000 BTU thermoelectric air conditioners. These cost a bit, but are used in wine coolers and other temperature sensitive situations.

How much is a refrigerator cooling unit? Is that practical for a 5 by 5 by 3 foot grow tank?

Nick, we have those in the big soda cooler at work. I'd imagine they are PRETTY $$$

Dustin,

They are $$$. I asked one of the pop(soda, to you East Coast people, lol) companies, and for a used condenser, they wanted about $250. I know nothing about electronics or refridgeration, but you can get a dorm room fridge for under $100. I got a six pack fridge at Toys R Us for $20. I am not sure if it will work, but I will find out.

Joe

peltier junctions? evaporative cooling? Enlighten me please.

THnaks,
Craig

Definition of a peltier junction: Peltier Junction - When electrical current is applied to a thermocouple a temperature difference is created, with one side of the thermocouple being hotter than room temperature and the other being cooler. Peltier Junctions (Peltiers for short) can be used to cool microprocessors, where the cool side contacts the microprocessor and the hot side contacts a heatsink. Peltier Junctions are rated in watts. If you do not use the appropriate wattage a Peltier Junction will be ineffective.
Basically a peltier junction is a heat pump, which pumps heat away from the body, hence reducing the temp. Quite a sophisticated piece of equipment.
Just do a search on it and it will come up a ton of info and companies selling it.

Evaporative cooling is when water takes heat away from a body to evaporate, thus reducing the amount of heat in the body and hence the temperature.

Sourced from: Geek.com
biggrin.gif
smile_m_32.gif

Hope that helps,
Jason

Couldn't you just rip the cooling units out of a fridge and hook it up to a thermostat?
Then throw in one of those foggers to keep it a bit more humid? (cooling element will most likely bind humidity, thus lowering the relative hum...)

/Quensel

Hey guys thanks heaps i think ill just have to experiment with all the different cooling methods such as ice etc.

Thanks again
Olly

Griffin,

Can you elaborate more on the "six pack fridge" you mentioned getting at Toys R Us? Is there a brand name, and how much did the unit cost? This sounds like it has potential.

Hi Olly

My new puppy's name is Ollie.
biggrin.gif

Yeah...that six-pack thing sounds interesting for cooling a small grow chamber. Hmmmmm... wonder if they have them on eBay...

Back