What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help

neps are prone to root rot thus the tray method of watering shouldnt be used

then i water from above, right?
How do I know when to water them

Im afraid that ill water them but Ill water too much and cause my neps to die

I dont have a nep (yet)
smile.gif

but im wondering

thanks in advance

Nepenthes are very tolerant of wet soils as long as it is well drained and aerated (porous). Daily watering is fine as long as the roots get a chance to "breathe". Typically, keep the mix damp and you should be fine.

just keep it damp. they don't even need to be watered daily unless it's really hot and dry where you live. just keep it damp and it'll be fine.

if you put them in a terr. a couple times a week is ok or even once IME.

I have been using a water meter as recommended by the carnivorous plant FAQ. After using the meter for a while, it is easier to get a sense of how fast the soil dries out.

Does anyone else use one of these meters? You can get them at nurseries for cheap.

-Ben

i don't , but i might buy one from a gardening cat. as it has a light meter built in
smile.gif

once you get into cp's alot you sort of develope an instinct for the plants, when they need watering, what's wrong with them, etc etc.

Hi all:

I have been waiting for a topic like to give my opinion on the matter. To avoid root rot = Reduce watering frequency + well drained compost.

It's happened to me before: i avoided watering as much as i could but it's useless to do so if the compost your plant is potted in retains a lot of water. Therefore, it'll still rot.

As Dustin, suggested it, get a well aerated mixture.
The one i am using now is made out of, pure pine bark chips overlayed with 1 inch of LFS. It works beautifully.

Gus

Back