What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

?'s on pollen collecting and shipping

ok my Miranda has opened 2 flowers and is definatly male and ive found someone with a female who is interested in the pollen to make a cross. now how should i go about collecting and shipping the pollen? does it take the flowers awhile to ripen after they open? do i just cut off the flowers and ship the whole flower off or what? any help will be greatly appreciated.

Rattler

I'm no expert going through this the first time myself, but my belief is that the flowers must open and then dehiss their pollen from the anther heads which happens when the pollen is "ripe".

After the flower opens I take the flower head and put a few flowers in little baggies and froze them. The pollen seems to stay stuck to the anther after it splits unless rubbed off. My thought is these flowerheads can be unfrozen and the flower held and the anther full of pollen touched directly onto the stigma of the female, like a pollen swab!

I'm notv sure this is the best way to go about it though, do any of the more experienced Nep breeders here see a problem with my idea on how to do this?

Back