What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I mounted a nep

superimposedhope

Somewhat Unstable
I mounted a N. X judith Finn. It has been a little over 24 hrs but the leaves and tendril are still growing, color is staying the same as well. I am misting every couple hours on top of intense humidity here. I am not sure what it is at the moment but it has been averaging in 90+% the last week, overnight as well. Though dropping in to 60-70s at night. I disterbed as little as possible of the roots and I think i did a good job.

Joe

kewl, i was thinking of trying it with a small growing species when i get my large growth chamber built. do you have any pics?

Rattler

I'm so happy, I finally mounted my first sarr, and it is actually working
smile.gif

Are you guys talking about mounting these plants as epiphytes (i.e. with very little/no soil and exposed roots)? Or... are you just 'repotting' them in some form of wall-hanging pot/basket?

Aaron.

I actually mount as epiphyte. It works very well with many tropical plants actually if you know how to mount correctly and understand the particular plants needs. I myself am a huge fan of epiphytes (except orchids) and regularly collect them. That is how I got into Neps, I was moving toward a new group of epiphytes. I found out later that they are not typically totally epiphytic and when they are it is only a few. I love them anyway now.

Kirk did you say you mounted a Sarr? I never thought of it. Won't it be a challenge to keep it moist enough? Let me know how it goes. Goodluck

Joe

Rattler, I would suggest something hybrid and hardy, because it is a bit troublesome to fit a chunk of wood into a chamber without being a pain-in-the-***. I used Manzanita. It is 3' and around 6" across. It will be in typical household conditions during winter, I'll have to add humidity though.

Joe

As everyone knows, before you mount your specimen, you have to stalk and kill it first......
smile_n_32.gif

Grif, you don't even WANT to know my first thought when I read the post title...

Schloaty -
Glad to know I'm not the only pervert (winks)

Lia

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Glad to know I'm not the only pervert (winks)

I resemble that remark!
smile_m_32.gif

i've heard that some neps like N. campanulata grow BETTER mounted. in the case of N. campanulata, it was mounted on a rock.

You guys are perverted and odd, why in the ...
smile_k_ani_32.gif
confused.gif

JLP, I have .........
biggrin.gif
 dangit, now I feel weird saying mounted, anyway I have been "doing this" (shut up guys
biggrin.gif
 ) with plants for awhile since my collection is mainly epiphytic cactus. Most tropical plants will live epiphytically on many kinds of wood, if given a large enough peice and the right support along with patience and time. You have to wait for the root system to dig in to the wood and the small white roots will readliy grab on, the hardest part is keeping them damp enough. As for Neps, this is my first try and am not sure what to expect from them epiphytically. Lithophyting might be difficult to do since they are a bit more delicate with regards to salts and what not, I am also not sure what kind of rock you would use. I know that N.northiana for ex. lives in limestone cliff faces but I have been told it doesn't appreciate limestone in its potting mix.

Joe

Many pings also do well mounted. I have a mini glass bowl experiment going at the moment, I have a p. moranensis on a tilted slab of beach driftwood (soaked the salt out for months) that is sitting on small beach rocks. There is some spag behind the wood between the bowl glass, and some up top. There is a tiny bit wrapped around the ping's roots, but that's only until it attaches to the wood properly. I just put water on the rocks and let the wood and spag soak it up. It's been over a month and it's still growing nicely. I'd like to try mounting a nep if I'm successful with the ping.

It is pretty easy if you have the patience. I know nothing of pings though. Thats interesting none-the-less, I wouldn't have thought of doing it.

Joe

Oh, mexi-pings often grow on trees and cliffs, so it's not a stretch to assume mounting it would work. The don't mind a dry spell, either. Give it a go sometime if you have the chance. ;)

Back