What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi All,
    So I've constructed a new terrarium, 4' long x 2' deep x 2' high. It's lit by six 40W flourescent bulbs (the bulbs themselves are pretty old; will gradually upgrade to new T8s soon) and fully Mylar-ed. Here's the question... my Maxima, Ventrata, Ventricosa and Gracilis are currently living in a sunroom which is ironically largely shaded by a tree so they get maybe an hour of very gentle first-morning light and indirect light otherwise. They're healthy, pitchering and nicely colored, etc., but not extremely vigorous. My original intent was to just put 'em in the fully operational terrarium and not worry about the perhaps increased intensity of six fluor. tubes (especially since they're old; I'm under the impression that fluorescent bulbs lose lumen output with age), but now I'm second-guessing myself. Should I use, say, two bulbs for a week, four the next and then six after another? I'd hate to shock the neps any more than I have to with the move and all. Any input? Am I a hopeless worrier?

go ahead and put them in there! they will be fine!
\
if your really worried, use shade cloth.

Fluorescent tubes do lose intensity as they age.. quite a bit in fact. I don't think 6 tubes will shock them much. Fluorescent light is not very harsh even when fairly bright. You might want to get on a rotation for replacing them.. do 2 and wait a few months and then do another 2 etc and just keep rotating.
That said.. It doesn't hurt to just keep an eye on them for the first few days after moving them 'just in case'.
Tony

the thing about flouro's is that they spread the wattage over the enrire bulb, that's alot of area. however, HID lights produce all the light and power at one point and thats why they are so intense. that can REALLY burn your plants without aclimation.

Great! Any feedback on a photoperiod schedule varying seasonally from 14 hrs (June) to 8 hrs (December)? This allows me to move it one hour a month for convenience...

If your growing primarily Nepenthes and other 'tropical' plants I would just leave it set on 14hrs all year.
Tony

i have mine on from 9.30 am to 11:30 pm

sounds like me jutlikeapill! Mine are an hour earlier both ways though. I don't think it'll shock them to much. I had some go from little/no light to full, and nothing bad happened, but my ventricosa did get somewhat redder in the leaves, and had some freckles!

Craig

yeah, isn't it great when your plan't start to change colors because of your light? it's a good sign that your doing things right
smile.gif

oh yeah, call me clint, and everyone who reads this, call me clint.

Back