What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes as weeds

Greetings:

A question was just posed as to whether Neppies seedlings here in Guatemala might "escape" and naturalize under local conditions. Since we have a prolonged and marked dry season (Nov-April) this seems unlikely, given most of these plants require fairly mesic conditions, year-round.

I do, however, generate phenomenal amounts of fortuitous hybrid seedlings in any perma-wet environment in the rear garden - Heliamphora and Cephalotus pots, in particular seem to be magnets for wind-dispersed seed. A major problem here is preventing female plants being tagged with unwanted pollen when intent on creating a specific cross. I have also been faced with the rather ironic task of having to "weed" up to 12 pitchering adolescent hybrid plants from the pots of near-smothered highland spp.

Here follows two recent pics of "Nepenthes as weeds" - pots are ca. 15 cm diameter.

N.%20maxima%20&%20weedlings.jpg

N.%20faizaliana%20&%20weedlings.jpg

P'rhaps, something that you don't see too often in cultivation.

Happy Trails,

SJ

i don't care if it's a weed or not, but the first nepenthes is just amazing.. truely amazing..

JLAP,
  I think the first nep is not a weed, but rather the little babies in the pot....Oh, my kingdom for THAT problem!

Nice S.J.!  You should pot those suckers up and give them away to your friends and family that live near you.... Do you know other growers in your home country? I'm sure they'd be happy to get freebees, too.

OHH!! ok, well no wonder it's so pretty
smile.gif

This is one of those things were we of the USA, are thinking there is a downside to living where you live, but from this angle, it's hard to imagine what that is, lol.
That is very cool, SJ.

Cheers,

Joe

Yeah, it is like sundews being considered a weed in many collections.

Back