What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nep. campanulata

can i see the whole plant?

is it just me, or does it grow extremely slow? does yours grow as slow as mine? the new leaf has grown out, but the tendril isn't doing crap.

Maybe tomorrow or next week. My camera ran out of juice.

I have the plant for about 8 months now. However, I am living in the tropics (1ºN of the equator) where it is hot and humid all year round. The plants get half a day's of direct sun (morning), and in the afternoon, the growing area is brightly lit but no direct sunlight. Hope this helps.

I would guess that will more than likely be a male flower due to being very round, female flowers tend to be more oblong/egg shaped.
How large in diameter is your N. campanulata?
I sure hope you can find someone with a female N. campanulata to pair it with! Mine is 15 cm diameter but no signs of flowering yet.

JLAP, mine grows/pitchers easily after the six months or so it took to settle in and begin growing after being shipped from Germany. what are your temps, lighting and humidity? My specs are: 240 W flourescent lighting (Daylight tubes), Humidity 80%+, Temps are 70*F+ at night to 85-95* Daytime.

Thanks swords for the observation. Now, to find a willing partner to donate pollen.

Just measured the largest leaf.
Length: 4 cm (1.5 inches); width: 2 cm (0.8 inches)

Largest pitcher height: 4 cm (1.5 inches).

i've had it little over a month ( it took yours six months so settle, so i guess i found my problem!)

lighting is 440 watts, its about a foot under them, humidity is in the low 60's because i got recent advice from members to lower the humidity for my droserae, temps are 89-93 in the days, mid 80's at night, lower in winter both night and day however not dangerously low.

i lowered my humidity based on the results i got on the "killing them with kindness thread?" i posted on the general forum. they said that humidity around 60 wouldn't harm my neps and would be great for the droserae.

Humidity of 60% may be OK for some species but there are some who will refuse to pitcher without high humidity. The plant may grow well but not pitcher, especially with that much light you could end up burning them since heat from the light will lower the humidity.
You may be able to coax N. campanulata into pitchering in lower humidity or you may not. Give it time and see what happens. It's such a small species that you can easily set up another chamber with high humidity if need be. Mine made a few pitchers in that roughly six month period but now it's been doing very well. Be sure to feed only the smallest of crickets/prey as the pitcher walls are very delicate and prone to rot from overfeeding-I learned that the hard way, over and over again! But the plant has rapidly enlarged in the last 2-3 leaves which is roughly the 1 year mark and pitchers have reached the "textbook" (Neps of Borneo) size of 7 cm.

I keep my highland Neps in a virtual "fog cloud" but it is a moving cloud of fog which is controlled by a humidistat and a circulation fan which runs 24/7.

I like the lowland chambers to be as hot and uncomfortable as possible but there should be a slight drop in night temps (70-75*F) with a  corresponding rise in humidity. I have a very large intermediate/lowland chamber (a shower stall made into a terrarium) which at this time of year is almost unbearable to open and service but the plants seem to like it.

In my time of growing Neps I have not experienced the problems of high humidity killing my plants. With seedlings I am careful not to leave standing water droplets on the growing tips. That has killed my N. mikei seedling and deformed a young N. northiana for a couple leaves, but that was due to standing water droplets, not humidity.

I don't grow any Drosera on purpose as I am addicted to Neps but there is somehow an infestation of D. adelae in my N. hamata pot and one of them which is growing out of the side slots in the pot is flowering, so that one seems happy!

Give your plant time but watch it to make sure it doesn't burn. 60% humidity is the lowest recorded humidity under a cloudless sky in Sarawak, Borneo - according to the book National Parks of Sarawak. With the average on an overcast day around 80%+ so that's how I treat my Neps.

well how would 70% work? or even 75?

I don't know what high humidity will do to your sundews since I don't grow them so I don't want you to slaughter your Dew collection. I don't have any Neps in low humidity so I can't say which ones will pitcher in 60% RH and which won't.

N. campanulata may do fine in lower humidity, just keep an eye on it and if things don't seem to be working out, no pitchers after a good stretch of time (say 2-3 months/leaves), browning leaves, etc. Then look at starting to increase the humidity. If you're dead set on Neps and Dews you might need to set up a seperate smaller terrarium just for this guy so he can have all the things that'll make him happy. Since this one is a smaller species it should be a very easy one to keep "forever" in a simple 10 gallon aquarium with a 20 watt daylight power compact light.

i guess i'll try things out
smile.gif

i dont see WHY high humidity would be bad for drosera anyway, but whatever, mother nature is weird sometimes.

i've decided to keep my humidity in the low 70's, that way, hopefully, everyone can be happy.

I grow D. adelae and schizandra in a nep tank (which also has n. campanulata growing happily in it - mine took a few months to settle in and start producing good sized pitchers) at high humidity, reasonable light and temps 70-95C. They seem happy enough.

but are they oozing with dew? that's what i want.

i feel aweful for hijacking this thread...

Yep they are nice and dewy in there! More so than when they were in the open greenhouse.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Just measured the largest leaf.
Length: 4 cm (1.5 inches); width: 2 cm (0.8 inches)

Largest pitcher height: 4 cm (1.5 inches).

That little, and flowering? My camp is larger than that....so I would guess it's mature (how do you know, anyway, besides seeing a flower?). I guess I'm going to have to try to get my light times to simulate season change if I ever want to see a flower....Oh, boy....

Strong natural sunlight maybe all that the little plant needs
biggrin.gif

Back