What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi need some help..

Hi everyone

I just got my first nep!!! It is from petflytrap.com and Im very pleased with the quality. It is very healthy and has 8 pitchers and I can see 2 nearly developing!

It is a Nepenthes ventricosa~

I would really appreciate if all of you gave me some tips and/or care info you want to give me  
smile.gif

Im really nervous~
but I know with your help I wont be!

Thanks for your help in advance

When I first got my nep, I was nervous too. Then when I got my others I did not worry much at all..... Although about two weeks ago I got my N. hamata, I've been a little nervous.
Nepenthes ventricosa can do great as a windowsill plant. I grow my neps in a south facing window. During the summer my neps get bright indirect sunlight. Late fall through early spring they get direct sunlight for most the day. My plants seem very happy with this. In winter you might have to mist your plants now and then if you have a forced hot air funace.
I grow them in large 14" coconut lined hanging baskets, maybe a little big for your plant now. I use equal parts of LFS, peat moss, and perlite. Water twice a week.
I feed crickets to the plant when new pitchers open.

I just updated a few of my pictures on my site.
http://www.geocities.com/elgecko1989/Nepenthes.html

VTPTFATHAVFT,
What part of the county (world?) do you live in? I live in New York, and I have my ventricosa out on the deck where it gets about 3-4 hours of direct sun and bright light the rest of the day. It's potted in LFS and orchid mix at a ratio of roughly 3:1. It's got lots of pitchers on it, so I'd say it's happy. These plants are very tollerant, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Thanks for your replies elgecko and schloaty
smile.gif

schloaty, i live in N. Virginia, few minutes from DC

er keep it moist but not steadily soaking wet. Don't let it dry out. Bright light with some sun would be good. Feed the pitchers when new ones develop. N. ventricosa can take lower humidity but keep it high initially.

Nepenthes need time to adjust to new environments. Particularly brighter light and lower moisture than they may have been accustomed too. So always watch for moisture stress and burning on new plants for a couple weeks. Moisture stress usually shows as pitcher lids drooping and closing the pitcher and wilting of the young new leaves. In severe cases the leaf edges will roll under and form a tube, pitchers and new growth will shrivel up etc. If you haven't done so yet. You can put some water in the pitchers as they probably arrived empty. Don't go feeding yet but the water will help the plant adjust as they can absorb this water if it is needed by the plant.

Tony

Back