What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's lurking in my highland chamber

I noticed something hiding in the darkness between some pots so I moved the N. macrophylla plant and saw this:
rajah7.jpg

it's a 14 cm rajah pitcher!
rajah8.jpg

N. hamata is making many vines and after changing the lights the newer higher up  leaves are finally starting to pitcher here's an intermediate:
hamata14.jpg

Here's a bad angle pic of the N. aristolochioides x thorelii female flower stalk, unfortunately the flower goes where it wants...
aristoxthorflower1.jpg

And since someone always asks what the growing chamber looks like, heres the big highland jungle:
highland704.jpg

I hope you enjoyed the pics!  
smile.gif

Hi Josh
As ever great photos,the Rajah catches the eye dont she.

Bye for now Julian

Awesome Josh! That's one of the BE plants from seed isn't it? (The rajah)

Amazing! I always love seeing your pictures! Very high quality subjects and photos.
Thanks for sharing!

Thanks guys!

Nep G, that's what me and Tony thought, but this plant is so productive with basal shoots-that I'm inclined to think it was a clone that slipped through. By the time the N. rajah reached 8 cm in diameter it was making it's first basal shoot. Now I've removed 5 basal shoots from this guy over 2 years or so. I've left this spring/summers basal shoot (about 4-6 inches diameter) attached, simply because I have no rooom to cut and root it anywhere for now.

Maybe N. rajahs always make clumps like this?

that the prettiest growchamber i've seen since.... well i've never seen a growchamber that pretty!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Maybe N. rajahs always make clumps like this?
Yes, it's pretty common; I have a number of specimens which
do this as they get larger. If you leave the basal on, you can
later cut the larger vine and root it, while the basal rapidly grows
to the size of the larger vine. You can then root the vine, and
in this way, end up with a number of large rajahs.

In any case, though, a nice plant. It's one of the larger ones
I've seen.

Thanks Jeff!
Wow, I'd have never thought to cut the biggest one off. Maybe I'll try it when I have more room after building the new chamber.

I have found that clumping behavior common, and got my first basal rosette at about 4 inches in diameter... I have one of the BE seed plants as well... Maybe the parent plants posessed that trait?
confused.gif

I bought my N. rajah back in Feb. 02and its only made some basal occasionaly, thing is they died before I got a chance to take them and try to root them. Since then mine has never been a "bushy" plant. Its just getting bigger and bigger now. I belive mine is a seed grown plant also due to the date at which i bought it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Thanks Jeff!
Wow, I'd have never thought to cut the biggest one off. Maybe I'll try it when I have more room after building the new chamber.

You're welcome! Best of luck to you!

...Amazing Josh.  Two quick questions:

1) If I remember correctly, you were puzzled a number of months ago as to why your rajah was making smaller pitchers than one would expect for such a large plant.  What do you attribute this increased pitcher size to?...changing the lights possibly?

2) Um...how do you manage to water all of the plants in that chamber?...seems as if some would be difficult to get to without disturbing others.

Again, absolutely wonderful plant.

Tom

nice photos my favorite is the aristolchoides in the backgroun (its alway been my favorite nep)

Hi Tom,

I figure it must be the lights getting changed, I wish I'd have done it sooner!
biggrin.gif

I've put a date on each bulb this time so it won't be a mystery if it's due for a bulb change.

As far as watering goes, I use either a few large Taco Bell cupfulls to flush the bigger plants or just use my 2 gallon garden pump sprayer (with the mister head) off to shoot water into all the little nooks and crannies... It'll sure be nice when I set up that new chamber and get some room again! As for the large amou8nt of water run off I put a large flat plastic tub under the bench (after moving the orchids - right now they're outside for the summer) and just let the water rain down and dump the run off into the toilet when I'm done. I probably could water the outdoor plants with it-I just never think to....

Kirk, my aristolochoides seems like it wants to begin climbing, that will be nice to see the larger sized climbing pitchers!

Dog gone it, Josh, dem be some nice looking plant ya got thar! How big is that aristolochioides pitcher? My aris. has recently produce a pitcher that I estimate to be 1.5", largest so far. The whole plant is about 3" diamter and 4.5" tall.
How big do they get in diamter? I swear, mine is just growing up, not out.

And darn you, now I HAVE to get a rajah....

My biggest N. aristo pitcher is 5 cm/2 inches maybe a hair over. I'm hoping it'll continue to pitcher all summer, it didn't pitcher last year from July until September but with my new AC and water filter maybe things will go smoother. It's about 20 cm diameter (not including tendrils) and about 20 cm tall with the internodes starting to elongate but only gradually for now.

The N. rajah grew large real easily for a long time, finally it's a bigger sized pitcher! Seemed like it was stuck in a 8 cm /3" pitcher craze forever!

Back