Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Coco husk chips

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I have a chance to buy the last bricks from a company that sells Sri Lankan coir products, but the shipping will be the same as the cost of the product(about $63 ). I think there are three cases 32" long, and I can't remember the other dimensions.
    Anyhow, T-Rex, a reptile supply product line present at Petco, has coco chips , and according tot he bag, they are a product of Sri Lanka. Would you think this would be the same "low sodium" product that could be soaked for a few days with some water changes(an hence, suitable to use in a potting medium)?

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Supposedly Sri Lanka coconut husk are from inland sources and not subject to as much salt absorption as other countries. But there are alot of companies that make coir/chips and the only way to know for sure would be to get a sample and test it. Maybe you can find out if they are prewashed from the company directly?? (not sure I would trust the answer but might help)

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the T-rex coco chips with my orchids and a coulpe neps, no problems.

Chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a TDS meter off of eBay, a while back, and it does not seem to work. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img]
    I will have to look into these and see how much you need to spend to get a good one. I think I would rather have a digital camera if I have to spend $$$

Joe