What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3 questions

1) Do Nepenthes ventricosa climb?

2) Do Nepenthes Miranda climb?

3) What do you all do to suffice your climbing needs of your nepenthes?

confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

1 and 2-yes. all nepenthes climb except campanulata and rarely parvelii (sp)
number 3-let it hang down if it's in a basket (it will flop over, then start growing up, over and over), let it sprawl, stake it, or cut it back and make cuttings.

they also make basal rosettes when they are big enough.
also, their tendrils on the upper pitchers grab whatever they can grasp , just like a grapevine, and this is how they support themselves in the wild. they twine over and around a stick/limb/ plant/whatever. if the tendril doesn't touch anything, it winds and coils aroudn itsself

there is also a form of veitchii that hugs a treetrunk with it's leaves. (litterally, it wraps them around it and it looks like it's hugging it)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ July 26 2004,8:23)]if the tendril doesn't touch anything, it winds and coils aroudn itsself
Thanks

what do you mean ~"it winds and coils aroudn itsself"

I have seen tendrils that coil air

Is that what you mean?
confused.gif

grac_upper_2.jpg

there is a pic of an upper N. gracilis pitcher, that's what i mean by coiling and winding around its self

i have a decent sized Miranda, about 2.5 ft in diameter, and the internode length(the space between leaves) is quite short so it will take awhile before you get a vine. as to how i allow my neps to climb. right now im just letting them go. my Ventrata and Rokko seem to want to grow together no matter how often i separate them. these two have half the leaves of my Miranda and are twices as tall. some ppl stake them, some use tomatoe cages, some trelises and some just let them grap on to each other it doesnt really matter its more personal preferance.

Rattler

I've seen a plant grown horizontally... I want to try that. Just tying a vine to a horizontal support and letting all the pitchers hang down below it. Seems to make a little more sense to me. None of the plant is supporting too much weight, none of the leaves are stealing sun from the ones below, and it just looks neat.

Back