What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. ampullaria

For those of you that have an amp of the green persuasion how long did it take for it to start making basal shoots? did it have to stat vinning first? was there any environmental changings or perameters that enduced the growth of the basal shoots?

Thanks,
J.E.M.

Jess,

I'm actually not 100% sure what form my small Amp is.  In addition to that, as you can see by the picture and the damaged older leaves, it came to me in not very god condition.

Anyway,  even at this small stage there is at least 1x basal shoot.  The full shot is from just the other day (just to give you an idea of the plant itself) and the close-up is form about a month ago.  In the close-up you can just make out the basal shoot, new basal pitcher in the middle and first open basal pitcher at the bottom left:

NAmpularia.jpg

NAmpullariaBasalShoot.jpg

So going by this it certainly seems that Amps are capable of producing basal at a very young age.

I also have a more mature (50cm vine) N. tobaica x ampuillaria that has its first basal shoots (at least 3-4) forming.  However, again, I have no idea what form the Amp is.

Sorry I'm not a whole lot of help
smile_m_32.gif

Aaron.

My Ampullaria "Green" forms basal pitchers whenever I make cuttings of the plant.

I'll try to post a pic of mine.

Hey Jlap.
I've had two greens (traded one away), but one was making basal shoots like crazy from the time it was 4" in diamter, and the other has NEVER made one, and it's about 14" in diameter...it IS starting to make basal pitchers, but no shoots.
confused.gif

If you give an amp a large pot it will generally be more likely to produce basal shoots...
Peter

Well here's my clump of basal pitchers of my N. Ampullaria "Green".

126-2688_IMG.JPG

thanks for the info guys and great pictures!!!!

I have two smale 5-6" inch amps in a 6" pot. They keep growing up but no basals. Maybe I should cut the tops off....what do you think?

no, don't cut them, they will make basal rosettes when they get bigger.

I saw an amp at CPJungle that was in a tiny tiny pot, with a stem about 4 foot long and it had clusters of basal pitchers in the pot, and on the stem!

Back