What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A couple of quick pics

Hey, I got a nice upper on my N. thorelli x aristolochioides! I love the way it grabbed my N. x Rokko next to it:

N_thorelli_x_aristolochioides6.sized.jpg

Also, here's a follow up on my N. hirsuta x veitchii. Here's the monster upper that opened a week ago (I posted a lower pitcher then). It's an honest 9.5 inches from bottom to the base of the lid. My biggest pitcher yet! Consider that I have big fat hands (I'm 6'2" and 210lbs). This is a great windowsill plant, just as robust as can be.

N_hirsuta_x_veitchi9.sized.jpg

Capslock

Wow, those are both superb.

Could you show a picture of the whole window? I have some neps growing in my window, and I would like to see how you do it.

-Ben

Both are very nice!

It's always cool to see other poeples aristo x thor! It seems like there are very few people growing this one and it has such great pitchers. Mine is making uppers and they're still much more bulbous at the top than yours appears in the picture.
How long has yours been making uppers? Did they get thinner after some time of making uppers? Perhaps the difference is due to the different genetics of the seed they're started from?

Nice stuff Caps!

What conditions do you have your thorelli x aristolochioides grwoing in, Capslock?

Ben, here's a pic of the whole window. My plant lives with a N. ventricosa red in the same pot. I supplement the meager sunlight they get with a desklamp with a regular compact fluorescent bulb, and since the vine has grown so far, I put another basic shoplamp up top:
N_hirsuta_x_veitchi8.sized.jpg

Josh, I've been watching your plant, too. In fact, I bought mine after thinking yours was so cool. This is my first upper, and it's actuallly even a little thinner than the picture indicates. Probably just normal variation. Anyway, I agree it has great pitchers and is a great grower.

elarwhis, I grow mine in my living room, where it gets intermediate/highland conditions. It's under a compact fluorescent lamp, the envirolight type. It seems to be an easy grower.

Capslock

I think you should add your location Capslock!  Your in about one of the best places in the US for growing highland/intermediate Nepenthes as houseplants
smile_m_32.gif

They are looking mighty fine btw. As far as the N. thorelii x aristolochioides only 12 seed grown plants came into the US. 9 have been distributed. As seedlings they were all very pretty with some minor variation in color, pitcher shape etc.

Tony

everything is good about san franciso, tony
smile.gif

Except the housing prices! LOL!

Incidentally, this summer has been PERFECT for growing. I don't think the humidity has gone below 60% in weeks, and the sun comes out every afternoon.

Capslock

Wow only 12 aristo x thors in all the US Tony?
Cool to know that!
biggrin.gif

well arent you spppppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeccccccccccccccciiiiiiiiiaallllllllllllllll
smile_n_32.gif
does that mean your going to sell your new hybrids for $$$$$?
smile_m_32.gif

Rattler

Yes, it makes Josh and I very special indeed. Worthy of your admiration and worship. LOL!!!!

Seriously, it's kinda fun knowing you have one of 12 around. Incidentally, this plant grows really fast, and I, for one, am going to make some cuttings as soon as I get a basal shoot, as it's growing up past my light fixture. I could take 6 or 7 cuttings right now, but I gotta see that basal action first. When that occurs, I'll give away the cuttings in the Trading Post section.

Capslock

kewl i may have to keep an eye out for it then. ive noticed few have bical x amp and i have a lil one of those. it will be quite awhile before i have any cuttings to trade unless it kicks it into high gear.

Rattler

Cool you gonna give them away Caps? If so I`m definately in!

Back