Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Guess for fun

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, Tony, why would you have a picture of this nepenthes? HMMMM?[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img] LOL! (let me know if they're for sale!)

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    N. 'artist painted' [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img] J/K. It looks huge in the pic though...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Capslock yer out of control lol.. but so am I!
    They are not available yet and I will only have a few as I did not buy a whole lot. I think the cross has potential but was unsure how they would look because N. truncata tends to be fairly dominant. They should be nice easy and tolerant plants as Trent mentions but I didn't want to put alot of funds into a somewhat uncertain cross. (alot of these new crosses are also quite pricey to stock ;/ ) Fortunately it seems the N. aristolochioides is also quite dominant with it's traits even against other traditionally dominant species.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tony,
    We brought in a half dozen of the truncata x densiflora back in April as fairly large seedlings and they are doing great with our summer heat. Each new growth is successively larger-as are the pitchers.

Trent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Trent,

I have one of the N. truncata x densiflora also and it seems to be doing well. I rank N. densiflora and N. aristolochioides as about equal in demands (N. aristo. a little more tempermental) so there is a good chance the mix of N. truncata and N. aristolochioides would do ok for you as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tony,
    Why do you say that aristolochioides is tempermental? The one I got from you loved my highland tank, currently is loving my deck...Didn't require that much time to acclimate to real sun (about 4 hours I'd say), experienced no shock getting moved from tank to deck. I mean, this thing just kept on truckin' no matter what I did. Doesn't even seem to demanding on humidity.

(Boy, this sounds like an advertizement, lol)

But seriously, Tony, why do you refer to this species as tempermental?
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    O I dunno Dave.. just a general feeling I get with them. They have ups and downs in the greenhouse and it took me a while (ie significantly longer than most species) to really get a handle on them. Initially they just grew.. never getting much larger. Which usually indicates temperatures a little too warm. (or not enough feeding or something). They do seem quite resistant to rotting and humidity fluctuations though as I haven't killed many once settled into the greenhouse. They grow pretty well now but for some reason they occasionally go into this weird mutant type growth. I don't think it's because of my environment as it appears randomly. My gut feeling is there is a problem with the TC and some mutant gene just expresses itself out of the blue then goes back into hiding.

T

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't grow some of these plants to save the life of me. I have a large, cool basement(at least it feels like it) and there is a highlander bar that can't be crossed. This includes aristolochiodes, densiflora and hamata. Now N. spathulata does fine and I had a caranculata var robusta(bongso to most-until the plastic fell and it dried out) that was doing fine.
    I have a bunch of 10 gallon tanks so it may be an air movement thing or something. I tried growing some out of a giant styrofoam shipper, but that was a disaster, as the plastic would not tape to that very well. Obviously plexiglass or lucite is the way to go for that.
    Anyways, I am going to have a growchamber similar to Dr. Jeff Shafer's this year, and I imagine it will be intermediate plants to lower- elevation highlanders. He thought it would possibly be highland, but he is a mile in the air and I am not. I guess I won't know until it goes up.

Cheers,

Joe

[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast