What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Guess for fun

O yeah! Forgot to post the answer..

N. truncata x aristolochioides. Lots of great guesses! Not surprisingly it looks alot like many of the other hybrids mentioned at this time. N. truncata is one that takes it's time showing it's mature features (as is N. maxima). It will be interesting to see what happens when they get bigger and truncata traits start to kick in... particularly with the large flaired peristome for that species.

btw the leaf with the wavy margins is a N. veitchii highland.

Tony

LOL, struck me out , Tony. I never would have guessed that.

Cheers,

Joe

I got it!(?)
smile_k_ani_32.gif

...And it should grow down here! Truncata passes on a wonderful heat tolerance in its hybrids with true highlanders.

Trent

So, Tony, why would you have a picture of this nepenthes? HMMMM?
confused.gif
LOL! (let me know if they're for sale!)

Capslock

N. 'artist painted'
biggrin.gif
smile_n_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif
J/K. It looks huge in the pic though...

Capslock yer out of control lol.. but so am I!
They are not available yet and I will only have a few as I did not buy a whole lot. I think the cross has potential but was unsure how they would look because N. truncata tends to be fairly dominant. They should be nice easy and tolerant plants as Trent mentions but I didn't want to put alot of funds into a somewhat uncertain cross. (alot of these new crosses are also quite pricey to stock ;/ ) Fortunately it seems the N. aristolochioides is also quite dominant with it's traits even against other traditionally dominant species.

Tony

Tony,
We brought in a half dozen of the truncata x densiflora back in April as fairly large seedlings and they are doing great with our summer heat. Each new growth is successively larger-as are the pitchers.

Trent

Hi Trent,

I have one of the N. truncata x densiflora also and it seems to be doing well. I rank N. densiflora and N. aristolochioides as about equal in demands (N. aristo. a little more tempermental) so there is a good chance the mix of N. truncata and N. aristolochioides would do ok for you as well.

Tony,
Why do you say that aristolochioides is tempermental? The one I got from you loved my highland tank, currently is loving my deck...Didn't require that much time to acclimate to real sun (about 4 hours I'd say), experienced no shock getting moved from tank to deck. I mean, this thing just kept on truckin' no matter what I did. Doesn't even seem to demanding on humidity.

(Boy, this sounds like an advertizement, lol)

But seriously, Tony, why do you refer to this species as tempermental?

O I dunno Dave.. just a general feeling I get with them. They have ups and downs in the greenhouse and it took me a while (ie significantly longer than most species) to really get a handle on them. Initially they just grew.. never getting much larger. Which usually indicates temperatures a little too warm. (or not enough feeding or something). They do seem quite resistant to rotting and humidity fluctuations though as I haven't killed many once settled into the greenhouse. They grow pretty well now but for some reason they occasionally go into this weird mutant type growth. I don't think it's because of my environment as it appears randomly. My gut feeling is there is a problem with the TC and some mutant gene just expresses itself out of the blue then goes back into hiding.

T

I can't grow some of these plants to save the life of me. I have a large, cool basement(at least it feels like it) and there is a highlander bar that can't be crossed. This includes aristolochiodes, densiflora and hamata. Now N. spathulata does fine and I had a caranculata var robusta(bongso to most-until the plastic fell and it dried out) that was doing fine.
I have a bunch of 10 gallon tanks so it may be an air movement thing or something. I tried growing some out of a giant styrofoam shipper, but that was a disaster, as the plastic would not tape to that very well. Obviously plexiglass or lucite is the way to go for that.
Anyways, I am going to have a growchamber similar to Dr. Jeff Shafer's this year, and I imagine it will be intermediate plants to lower- elevation highlanders. He thought it would possibly be highland, but he is a mile in the air and I am not. I guess I won't know until it goes up.

Cheers,

Joe

confused.gif

Tony, do you find some deformites in the pitchers only? My plant has produced so-called "immature" pitchers on the last 3 leaves. No conditons have changed at all, and the lights are new, but not brand new so as to effect the pitchers. Hopefully the new pitcher will turn out normal...
confused.gif

hmm Sometimes it's just a little odd shaped leaf other times it is a gnarly looking stump of a leaf. Often they don't produce pitchers.

What do you mean by immature pitchers? Is the plant decreasing in size? Perhaps it is too warm at night and the pitchers are not developing properly?

Tony

I kind of suspected that at first, but rajah, jacquelineae, dubia, macrophylla, etc. are just fine... I'll put the aristo in a better spot and see if that clears things up though.
Thanks!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I don't think it's because of my environment as it appears randomly. My gut feeling is there is a problem with the TC and some mutant gene just expresses itself out of the blue then goes back into hiding.

Tony, I know what you mean about this species growing
in an odd manner sometimes; I've seen it myself. However,
I suspect that it is due to insufficient nocturnal cooling.
The reason I say this is because my specimens are all
from seed (hence no TC issues) and they all exhibited
periodically weird growth until I started growing them
in a modified freezer with consistenly cool nights. Now,
their growth is quite consistent, and they have flowered
several times.

Back