What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blue.

I've been thinking for some time on this and I am almost nearly dead certain of this.

There is no Blue-toned or colored Nepenthes.

No sky.
No turquoise.
No navy.
No royal.
No blue.

Am I wrong for coming to this conclusion? Do any of you know of or own a species of Nepenthes that produces a blue tone in the pitchers or in the leaves? I cannot think of a single one. Yet, I can think of one for every other color. Strange, is it now?

Good point....cant think of one either...

I've never thought about that before, but come to think of it, I don't think I've ever heard of a blue nep either. A blue nep would be awesome though!

maybe its because blue is less attractive to insects compared to the other colors?

I know a guy that went to New Caledonia to collect geckos. He said he saw Nepenthes pitchers there with blue on them. There is only one known species there, and no blue clones I am aware of. Maybe he has a picture?

Joe

there are cp's with blue flowers, but i don't think that counts.

i'd LOVE to see a nepenthes with blue on it, joe. that would be AWESOME

Blue is a tough color to produce. There are many plants which collectors are deperately trying to produce a hybrid with blue. Roses and many cactus cannot produce blue flowers but abundance of every other color in every shade imaginable.

Joe

After thinking a bit I remembered that blue can produced in just about everything but.........it takes alot of tinkering with regulators and mutators and genes and you end up with plants that rarely survive or grow extremely mutated.

Joe

You mean one like this?

blue.jpg

Sorry NG, I don't have any plants big enough for good pictures!
smile.gif

-Ben

that looks, really, really real. that's an excellent photoshop job.

Thanks! I actually used Paint Shop Pro 8.1. I really like this program, and I don't have the $$ for Photoshop.

-Ben

The nepenthes that produces colors the closest to blue would haveto be N. albomarginata. Just check out exotica plants' pictures.

I thought that only flowers were able to produce blue, as far as insects not being attached, I would think they would be just as attached to blu eas any other color. There are blu eflowers and they have to be pollenated by some kind of bug right?

Cute PSP job, airbrush the wings a little and i could've considered it. But just look at the beauty that could be held in Nepenthes with blue.

I hope to see a Nepenthes in blue one day, whether natural or a clone. It would and will be a site to see.

Back