What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ants infested nep mixta

Recently, my nep enclosure is infested with these small little ants about 2mm in length, with a yellow belly. All my pitchers are full of these ants. Should I exterminate them, or leave them alone, since they are natural food to the neps.
Do you guys encounter such a situation?

N mixta
f79d5a5c.jpg

Hi Vistary
I have lots of ants in my nep house and all my plants are dining on them,also wasps and the odd hornet or two are being eaten so id leave them to it.

Bye for now Julian

wow, those are so small. leave them alone, they are great fodder for your nepenthes.

Hi Vistary
Just had a look at your web site,nice but what you said is a white coller nep is in fact Albomarginata.

Bye for now Julian

I have them too and they even have burrowed into the mix, my bical doesn't seem to mind at all.

Joe

Glad to know this is normal.
smile.gif

Vistary,

As with the others here I'd not worry at all. Saves you having to feed them yourself.

I also have a type of small black ant of the same size and it is the primary food for my Neps due to it being about the only insect that can get into my glasshouse in large numbers.

I do still feed some of my Neps as they seem not as proficient in attracting the ants.

Aaron.

Back