User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes bicalcarata 15 yr. plant dying - help!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a HUGE N. bical 15 yr. old plant last month. She was in a 17" pot with dark green, 2.5 ft. leaves, but no pitchers. I let her sit in this pot for two weeks under a shade cloth lanai in Tampa area of Florida climate. She started showing black spots on the leaves and the leaves became "curly", I increased the amount of watering she was getting and made sure she received less direct afternoon sunlight. The lanai is getting sun from a north-westen angle. I then transplanted her into a 24" deep pot with spagnum moss, perlite, pumice, orchid bark and peat moss. After a week or so, the leaves continued to get curly and more black, so I cut the leaves mostly. Only three leaves remain, but they are curly and have some black edges and spots. It looks like the plant is dying on me.

For anybody that has extensive experience with N. bicalcarata, please give me some advice to save this plant and get it thriving. Thank you.

Todd

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i wish i could help, but that sounds like whats happening to my N. campanulata! do the leaves start to turn yellow first, then black?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first thought is that this plant is getting too cold, for
    in my experience, such necrotic spots are usually seen
    in response to overly cool conditions. However, since you
    are in Florida, and it is summer there now, I really doubt
    that this is your problem.

Therefore, can you describe your conditions (e.g., temps)
    more accurately, and tell us about the water you are using
    (RO vs. tapwater)? Also, can you talk to the party from
    whom you purchased this plant, and try to obtain a
    clear description of the conditions under which the plant
    was grown? An older, well-established plant, especially
    this species, should not be going downhill like this,
    unless is has recently sustained some kind of infection
    or been exposed to an environmental toxin (assuming, of
    course, that your conditions approximate its needs).

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Humidity? maybe, mine did that when I had it outside for about 6 hrs.

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember Swords plant up and kicked the bucket very quickly after he took it out of his grow chamber to get an afternoon shower outside. N. bicalcarata is a very very tempermental plant and just about ANY change in it's growing conditions will cause it to turn black right before your eyes.

I agree with Neps. to find out the temperature, light levels, and humidity levels the plant was getting. I would also like to know if it is a plant that was shipped in or was one purchased from a local grower in your area?

For now I would keep it out of direct sunlight, nice and warm (80+ at all times),enclose it to raise the humidity, and keep the mix pretty wet but not flooded. Be careful it doesn't get hit with sun if you enclose it, or it will bake in a matter of minutes!

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could it also be possible it is getting too much salty air breeze all of a sudden? I don't have any bicals, but my raffles doesn't like any sudden changes in environment.
    John

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Todd, is this the plant you told me about that you bought from either Bruce Bednar or Clyde Bramblett? It was already growing outside, wasn't it?

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My N. bicalcarata was bought on location from Bruce Bednar. He had it outside. He has not answered my emails, but he is busy and out-of-town, so I haven't been able to get a history of the plant from him.

My temps during the day get to a high of 90-92F, lows of 70-73F. Humidity is high 80%-90%. The plant is outside in a 24" deep pot. It gets mainly afternoon sun from the northwest, but it is in a lani with heavy duty pet screening over the top and sides that act like shade cloth. Yes, I'm near the coast. 5 min. drive from two major beaches so the salty air breezes are something new to the plant as it was inland at it's old location about 50 miles from the coast.

Based on the above info, what do you think guys and girls? I appreciate your advice.

Todd

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast