What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rootless nep!

One of my ventricosas produced a basal shoot which is now a full sized plant. They were both in the same pot until yesterday, and were rather crowded, so I decided to divide and repot. I was in the middle of cutting them apart, when the original plant suddenly snapped off from the roots, taking no roots at all with it. I went ahead and potted it like a normal plant because I had nothing else to do with it. Can I expect it to regrow roots after something like this?

I suppose it could be considered a cutting of sorts, since it just has stem, leaves, and pitchers. However, I haven't taken a cutting of any of my neps yet(I just keep putting them into bigger pots
smile_n_32.gif
), so I'm not all that familiar with the procedure for rooting cuttings.

N. ventricosa is pretty easy to root. I am guessing you buried the lower portion of stem a fair distance? Keep it out of really bright light, and the potting mix moist. It would also help to enclose it to keep the moisture up so it doesn't dehydrate before it has a chance to form roots, which will take a month or two.

Tony

you might want to fill the pitchers with water, that seems to help from what i've heard. use a b1 vitamin like superthrive to encourage root growth. you might be able to use a rooting hormone like Rootone or something.

you might want to fill the pitchers with water, that seems to help from what i've heard. use a b1 vitamin like superthrive to encourage root growth. you might be able to use a rooting hormone like Rootone or something.

Thanks for the help everyone.
smile.gif

The stem is buried a good 4-5". And I did soak it in superthrive before I potted it. I'm going to enclose it and put water in the pitchers to avoid dehydration. Also, would fluorescent grow lights be considered "really bright light" in this situation?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kirkscoastalcarnivores @ Aug. 01 2004,7:54)]N. ventrosica is a great plant! not to mention low maitenance (sp?)
Yep, it's a neat little plant.
smile.gif

I root my cuttings by watering the recently potted cuttings and putting the whole thing into a sealed ziplock bag and placing the whole thing a few inches from a 2 tube fluorescent shoplight.  Leave it alone for a month or two so as not to disturb/damage roots as they form.  Just keep an eye that the mix is moist and there are no leaves that go fuzzy from mold.

T

Back