What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Germinating n.lowii seeds

Hello every one. I am sorry if these kind of qustions are being repited every now and then. I have never tried germinating a Highland Nepenthes before and the Lowlanders i tried failed. The summer temps here are now usually 30C(86F) at day to 19C(66F) at night. Are these good temps to try with? I think of tring somewere shady outside mybe in an Aquarium. The only lights i have are in my Lowland Nepenthes Terarrium wich has too hight temps. Im also not sure about the growing medium i should try and i usually get alge starting after a few weeks.
So if any one has any Experiance with these seeds or about germinating highland Neps i would be happy to recive any comments or tips.
The seeds are from the ICPS seed bank.

Thanks very much

Yoav

Hi Yoav,

I had some of the lowii germinate with day temps in the 70's-low 80'sF and night temps in the low 60sF.

Hi thanks very much cp2k. What should i try as germinating media? Is choped long fiberd sphagnum moss ok?

Thanks

Yoav

I don't wish to downplay any seeds you get in the mail, but I have never had any seeds of any genus sprout that I've gotten through the mail. Likely viability depends upon how fresh the seeds are and the conditions they're stored in. My only successes in germinating any kind of seeds have been using seed that my own plants have produced and could be sown pretty much immediately after removing them from the pods.

I'm just curious what you will do with your seedlings if they do germinate if you do not have anywhere to grow them but the lowland tank? Are you getting a HL tank together?
You may be able to keep them temporarily in warm conditions that some people attempt but even young plants will eventually sicken and die if kept in the wrong place for very long.

Hi I germinated these plants from mail-sent seeds:

N. alata
N. ampullaria
N. gracilis
N. hybrid (2 different)
N. macrophylla

Most seeds need to be really fresh, I think lowland seeds do not germinate after some weeks and the viability for highland seeds last for some months.

The seeds which germinated with high rates came from good friends. I would never buy seeds on ebay or from most (not all, ok) websites as you will probably get very old ones.

Jan

Back