What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello everyone!

I'm new to this forum. I discovered it after seeing the big bare root VFT sale. I bought a few of each and they are currently recovering from travel shock.

I didn't really know where to post this, but since Neps are my favorite, I decided to post it here after lurking for a couple days.
This seems like a great place with really knowledgeable, (and nice), people.

I currently grow 22 different Nep species and 6 hybrids with 7 more on the way. I have 12 other CP varieties. I started growing CPs 4 years ago. I drifted away from my intense CP interest last year, but now it's back.

-- steve

Welcome srduggins! Like you, I am a nepenthaholic. One can never have enough.

How do you grow them? In a greenhouse? Indoors? Under fluorescents? Metal Halide?

Anyway, you've come to the right place. We're all a little bit nuts about neps here.

Capslock

Welcome to TF!

Welcome to TerraForums Steve!  Happy to have you with us
biggrin.gif
 You'll find this is a great group of people with some prominent carnivorous plant growers in our midst.  It's a fun place here and we look forward to your participation.

Lynda

I grow my highland neps outside in pebble trays or hanging pots. The young ones sat in a 10 gallon terrarium with no lid on the north side of my house, (bright shade). I recently moved them to the south side under shade cloth and mist them daily, (morning and sometimes late afternoon, never when the sun is strong), to help them adjust. I cut a flourescent light cover to use over the terrarium to diffuse the light and increase the humidity. I cut it 2" short to leave a 1" gap on each side for circulation. They seem to like the new conditions better with increased growth and better color.

Lowland Neps were grown in a small green house with an oil-filled radiator. I had the pots sitting in the appropriate sized tray, (6" pot in a 6" tray), and let them sit in water. They only held 1/4" to 1/2" of water and I only watered once a week, so the trays would dry up in a couple days.
  It was working OK, but this summer when the sun started hitting it, it got too hot and dry. I may have neglected them a little bit and they didn't respond well to the too dry then too wet treatment. I lost a bical, reinwardtiana and mirabilis 'echinostoma', (all small plants in 2" pots). the other plants stopped pitchering, grew deformed leaves and did not look happy. I had to move them out since we were getting our house tented for termites. The new set-up is in the kitchen garden window. No direct sun and daily misting. They like it much better, with healthy growth. I will move them back to the greenhouse in the fall and add some shade cloth next summer.
  I left a mirabilis in the greenhouse and inside the termite tent. It was very sick with hardly any leaves and a mealy bug infestation. Those bugs really go for mirabilis and leave my other Neps alone. I assumed the plant would die, but wanted to test it anyway. The mealy bugs have all died and the plant is regrowing along the stem! This plant is very unforgiving of low humidity, but is much tougher than I thought.

Welcome to the forums! I hope you enjoy it here.

Weclome to the forums!
smile.gif
Sounds like you have a nice set up. We'd love to see pics of your plants if you have some.
smile.gif

Welcome Steve

nice to have another Cper we know of
smile.gif

Welcome to terraforums!!

What plants do you grow?

Here is what I grow:

Highland: Lowland:

burbidgeae alata Palawan Is. (N.?)
carunculata albomarginata red plant & pitcher
diatas ampullaria green
fusca dark — Mamut Mine gracilis Sabah dark red
fusca flared peristome khasiana
macfarlanei merrilliana
maxima 'Doorman's Top' mirabilis Irian Jaya
maxima 'MS33' northiana
ramispina rafflesiana giant form
sanguinea pink rafflesiana white
spathulata reinwardtiana
tobaica dark red truncata
veitchii Batu Lawi veitchii lowland
ventricosa
ventricosa red

Hybrids:

Holland Hybrid ampullaria X bicalcarata
Judith Finn Hookeriana
maxima X fusca very dark Ventrata
veitchii X lowii
maxima X ? 'Home Depot' (5)

Here are pictures of my largest Nep, 6' tall.

maxima x fusca 'very dark'
398MxF.jpg
398mxf_upper.JPG

Very nice selection and amazing pitchers!!!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif

awesome plant!

Welcome to the forums!!!

This place is great......

Awesome plants, srduggins.

Could we see some more pics?

Welcome to the forum.

Wow nice plants

I would really like to see your ampullaria X bicalcarata hybrid

Im wondering how it would look like
smile.gif

Actually I cheated a little on my list. I included ones that I just bought and should be here soon, (7 new ones), including the veitchii x lowii that promises some really cool looking pitchers. Here is a link to an amp x bical photo, (not mine):
amp x bical

and heres what veitchii x lowii MAY look like if I'm lucky:
veitchii x lowii

I like the ampullaria X bicalcarata hybrid. I think it got the best from both parents.

Gus

Just got my new Neps today. Here is veitchii x lowii, 3" long pitcher

398vxl_periJPG.jpg

and the whole lot

398cooks_order.JPG

Cool! that N.maxima x fusca very dark is awesome.:O

Back