Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Peristromes pics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trent,

The so-called 'Allardii' is produced in very large numbers by one local CP nursery (Melbourne Australia), so I might drop them an email to see if they can provide any info about it's background.

Aaron.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK,

This is what I heard back form the grower of my n. 'Allardii':

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]As we have had many of our plants in culture for many years, a lot of the information regarding where they originally originated from got lost in our move about 8 years ago from Dingley to here in Keysborough.

All of our nepenthes are grown from tissue culture, we don't grow any from cuttings, as for resale, they take too long to grow roots, and the new growth point can get snapped off in transit.

There does seem to be 2 clones of the plants though. One has a red peristome with red bands through it, and the other has a green peristone with red bands. We don't know where either come from, if there is two clones in culture, or if they just turn out like this.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
    Great to get the reply, just a shame there's not more info. Where else in the world are thes eplants produced?

Aaron.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aaron,
    Is someone in Australia successfully mericloning Nepenthes?
    I know that until very recently it was not possible! There's a fungus present in the apical tissues that would ruin the culture.
    The only way to put Neps into tc is from a seed. I know some breakthroughs have occurred recently...

Trent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had heard Heiko Reischer(sp?) had done this years ago(this was thru Sean Samia (greatest grower of Petiolaris complex Drosera in the West, if you have never heard of him).
    Is this fungus always there, or is the apical shoot just very vulnerable to it? Somewhere there must be a way to beat a fungus...

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Joe,
    As it was explained to me-whatever beat the fungus also beat the Nepenthes [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img]
    I've heard about these mericlonings, but I also heard yield was low and somewhat impractical-so far. I know for a fact there have been some breakthroughs very recently as well. But I wonder if the N. allardii are mericlones, or the result from selected seed when something was crossed onto allardii?

Trent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trent,

I asked a local TC company, that I know does CPs, about the mericloning but got no direct response.

What I did find out from them was that the N. 'Allardii' we have commercially available here is originally from seed donated to the grower by a local hobbyist many years ago.

I'm not very up to pace on TC.....So…. would that indicate that there are some male and female plants that the growers have and they are TC'ing from the produced seed?

If so would that mean that there are possibly male and female plants available?

Although outside the scope of this topic, I do have more leads as to tracing down the original plant and where it came from (I know who donated the original seed and will try contacting them just for my own curiosity).

Aaron.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Aaron,
    That would be interesting to know. It would also answer the question as to whether N. allardii is a single cultivar, or in fact a grex name post N. Tiveyi.

Trent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trent,

I paid a visit to Triffid Park last week.

They confirmed that some/all (?) of their Neps are mericloned and it is done locally. I did not want to press too much about who or where.

I did come across another thread here in which someone mentioned that once the plants are in tissue culture it is easier to mericlone from them as the stem material is already contaminant free.

Aaron.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast