What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peristromes pics

Hi
Here are three recently opened highland Neps. I just love the difference these plants display in their peristromes. And the way as they fully develop how it changes again.

N.%20fusca.jpg

A fully devloped N. fusca Flared form.

N.%20veitchii.jpg

A recently opened N. veitchii.

N.%20x%20tiveyi.jpg

Opened today my N. x tiveyi

cheers

bill

Nice pics! N. x tiveyi is such a beautiful plant.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Flip_Side_the_Pint @ Aug. 11 2004,3:26)]those are awesome pictures!!!

is hat a highland vietchii
Yes its a highland one.
smile.gif

cheers

bill

Where does one get a N. x tiveyi these days....?
Beautiful as always, Bill.

Cheers,

Joe

Nice photos and pitchers. You've got some beautiful plants.
smile.gif

I too have been looking for a nice N. x Tiveyi for a long while....

Very nice pitchers Bill.

Question to everyone:

From all I could find on the web....

N. x Allardii = maxima x veitchii
N. x Tiveyi = maxima x veitchii

I have a N. Allardii and it does not have a stripped peristome (as 'most' references confirm) yet the references I found for N. Tiveyi 'mostly' show a striped peristome.

Any logical explanation?
Are they one and the same with variations?
Are they from different forms of the parent plants as both Maxima and Veitchii can vary quite a bit?

Thanks,

Aaron.

Thanks for all the comments everyone.
smile.gif

I got my N. x Tiveyi from a Belguim nursery cantharifera a few years back. At the time they did several forms of the hybrid including the candy striped peristrome (which I went for) and also a golden yellow one that must have looked a little like my N.veitchii.

For some reason they don't keep it any more and I have not seen that hybrid anywhere else either.
smile_l_32.gif

So I am glad I grabbed it when I had the chance.

cheers

bill

N. Tiveyi and Allardii are both maxima x veitchii, but from different grexes. Different plants were used, and there will be differences amongst the siblings as well.
We're looking for a good female Tiveyii as well. They're hard to find in the USA.

Trent

I think N. x tiveyi is much more beutiful.
smile.gif

those peristomes are awesome.... Can you post some pictures of the entire plants? I bet they are incredible....

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]N. Tiveyi and Allardii are both maxima x veitchii, but from different grexes. Different plants were used, and there will be differences amongst the siblings as well.
The convention used by the ICPS Database is that when several names are given to the same hybrid, the earliest published name takes precedence and the later names are synonyms.

In this case, N. x tiveyi {Hort.Veitch ex Mast.} published in 1897 takes precedence over N. x allardii {Hort.Lynch ex Bonst.} published in 1931 and N. x wittei {auct. non Elm.: Y.Fukatsu} published in 1999. Consequently, any offspring from the breeding of (maxima x veitchii) or (veitchii x maxima) should be called N. x tiveyi, no matter what they look like.

If there are important differences in appearance, that is what the registered cultivar system is designed to accomodate.

tiveyi is maxima superba X veitchii

allardii is maxima X veitchii.

there is more than one maxima around and so is there more veitchiis around.

Gus

I do not suggest re-labelling your allardii as tiveyii. All this does is add confusion to an already confused situation.
Tiveyii was re-made in Australia a few years back. Thankfully, they are labelled as such so as not to confuse them with the 1897 grex.
Also, does anyone know how many clones of allardii exist? Perhaps there is only one, which would qualify it as a cultivar.

Trent

Trent,

The so-called 'Allardii' is produced in very large numbers by one local CP nursery (Melbourne Australia), so I might drop them an email to see if they can provide any info about it's background.

Aaron.

OK,

This is what I heard back form the grower of my n. 'Allardii':

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]As we have had many of our plants in culture for many years, a lot of the information regarding where they originally originated from got lost in our move about 8 years ago from Dingley to here in Keysborough.

All of our nepenthes are grown from tissue culture, we don't grow any from cuttings, as for resale, they take too long to grow roots, and the new growth point can get snapped off in transit.

There does seem to be 2 clones of the plants though.  One has a red peristome with red bands through it, and the other has a green peristone with red bands.  We don't know where either come from, if there is two clones in culture, or if they just turn out like this.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Great to get the reply, just a shame there's not more info. Where else in the world are thes eplants produced?

Aaron.

Aaron,
Is someone in Australia successfully mericloning Nepenthes?
I know that until very recently it was not possible! There's a fungus present in the apical tissues that would ruin the culture.
The only way to put Neps into tc is from a seed. I know some breakthroughs have occurred recently...

Trent

I had heard Heiko Reischer(sp?) had done this years ago(this was thru Sean Samia (greatest grower of Petiolaris complex Drosera in the West, if you have never heard of him).
Is this fungus always there, or is the apical shoot just very vulnerable to it? Somewhere there must be a way to beat a fungus...

Cheers,

Joe

Back